New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - G4 MDD Just quit working

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jokerman

jokerman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.16 C2D 10.4.10

Hello all,

I think my problem may be power supply related but hope to be able to fix it cheaper. I recently installed Leopard on my MDD 1.25 and everything was fine. The next day it won't power on at all, nothing. Anything I can try before looking for a new power supply?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerman View Post
I think my problem may be power supply related but hope to be able to fix it cheaper. I recently installed Leopard on my MDD 1.25 and everything was fine. The next day it won't power on at all, nothing. Anything I can try before looking for a new power supply?
Are you able to test the psu with a multimeter? Check power in and power out. Just be careful not to short anything in there. If the problem is the psu, shop around for an old working G4 to get its psu (and any other useful bits as well).
QUOTE Thanks
jokerman

I will have to see if I can find a multimeter. Thanks for the advice. I hope I can get this thing back on it's feet.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Before investing in a new power supply, take the old unit out and dismantle. Have read where shorting to the case of the supply can be remedied with a simple solder job. Here is a link with photos jokerman:-

http://www.gkgraphics.com/home/news/...ly/index.shtml
QUOTE Thanks
jokerman

Thanks for the info harryb2448, I really appreciate it. I will have a look at it
QUOTE Thanks
jokerman

hughvane,

where do I check this PS with the multimeter?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerman View Post
hughvane,
where do I check this PS with the multimeter?
There's a more-or-less standard process for checking internal components ...
Caution - you do this entirely at your own risk. If you are in any doubt as to your personal safety, or you are fearful of further damaging your computer, DO NOT attempt this. Take your G4 to an electrician to check the power flow, it doesn't need to be a Mac technician.

The instructions are too lengthy to put here, so see attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: doc PwrCheck.doc (16.5 KB, 18 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« can't get into computer - always wants to restart | Apple and ATI »