New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - 900 MHz G4 Powers on but won't boot, Iny ideas?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jokerman

jokerman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.16 C2D 10.4.10

I have the opportunity to buy a G4 900 Mhz (I think) , guy says it won't boot but will power on.

Quick fix or should I not mess with it?

Any help would be great. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Does it display a question mark on startup?

Personally I would stay away from anything that doesn't display anything at all on screen.
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

if it will power on, but won't boot, be prepared to install os x (make sure he gives you the discs) and maybe even replace the harddrive.
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

When you say 'power on' do you get the start up chime? What shows up on the screen? As Alexis and ki99 points out if you get a flashing ? mark then the System is hosed and you will need those install disks. Then again, the system may be hosed because the hard drive is dead too...!
QUOTE Thanks
jokerman

I have a drive with Leopard on it, could that be swapped out for the drive that is in there now? Would it boot from the new drive if I put it in? I am waiting to hear more about what is showing up when the computer is trying to boot.

The guy only wants $50 for it and I thought If I could work out the boot problem, it might be worth it.

Thanks again for everyone's input, I really appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
jokerman

Just found out that this box has no video card. Perhaps I can use one from a MDD I have. He said it showed an apple image when the video card was installed.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Tread carefully and don't pay too much for it. Way it is described, no graphics card and no bootable system don't go over $100.00.
QUOTE Thanks
jokerman

harryb2448, do you know if a video card from a MDD 1.25ghz will fit in a 933mhz machine?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Yes the stock standard ATI Radeon 9000 from a MDD will work just fine as the 933 is 4X AGP the same as the MDD.
QUOTE Thanks
jokerman

just found out that the motherboard is fried. So much for that. Thank you everyone for the help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple and ATI | Running dual displays with Powermac G4 »