New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Can't Boot G4 in Target Disk Mode

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ebherwick3

ebherwick3 is on a distinguished road

I recently bought a new iMac and am trying to migrate files, applications, etc. from a G4 Power PC running Tiger.

The problem is that my G4 will not boot in Target Disk Mode!

I've tried booting holding T and it just boots up as normal. I've tried going into System Preferences>Startup Disk and it does not show me the option to click to restart in Target Disk Mode.

Possible issues:

* There are two hard drives on the computer. Both have Tiger installed. I've tried rebooting from each hard drive and neither gives the "startup in target disk mode" option under system preferences. The smaller drive was designated as the slave drive, even though I imagine it is the drive that came with the computer originally (i bought it used).

* I recently zeroed the data on that smaller hard drives to do a clean install of OS 10.4. Could I have somehow erased the ability to run in target disk mode?

If anyone has any insight, it is much appreciated.

Also, is there any other way to migrate data from this G4 besides firewire via target disk mode?

Many thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
kahlil88

kahlil88 is a jewel in the roughkahlil88 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro A1151 2.16 GHz

I hope your "T" key isn't broken. Are you holding the "T" key right after the startup chime? Macs are picky about when you begin holding it down - doesn't work if you hold it too soon or too late. You might also try zapping the PRAM just in case Target mode is disabled (hold Apple+Option+P+R during startup, right after the chime).

There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

QUOTE Thanks
ebherwick3

ebherwick3 is on a distinguished road

thanks for your time. i gave both a try to no avail. any other ideas?
thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G5 using only 2.5GB of 8GBs RAM | Gaming on the 20 inch imac? »