New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - G3 blueberry iMac 350MHz switching off problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

adrian.bryant

adrian.bryant is on a distinguished road

I have a G3 blueberry iMac that unexpectedly turns itself off after it's been switched on for a while. Once it's turned itself off, the power button stays green and flickers. If I leave it for a while, it will power up again as normal. Please could someone explain what the problem could be? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Sounds like you are having a hardware problem and perhaps in the power supply.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian.bryant View Post
I have a G3 blueberry iMac that unexpectedly turns itself off after it's been switched on for a while. Once it's turned itself off, the power button stays green and flickers. If I leave it for a while, it will power up again as normal. Please could someone explain what the problem could be? Thanks.
Couple of questions:
1. How long is "a while"? Is there an overheating issue? Your iMac may be shutting down temporarily to cool off. Check too that the air intake vents at the base of the iMac aren't clogged with dust, and that the air outlet vent is not blocked by something.
2. Are you using a UPS or surge protector? If so, check that the operational light on either unit is on and, if possible, test the power supply therefrom.
QUOTE Thanks
adrian.bryant

Hello, Thanks for replying. The mac shuts down after several hours use. I think you are right that it is either an overheating issue or power supply. If I leave the iMac for say 5-10 minutes I can power it up again, and it works normally. So I think overheating is a strong possibility. When it turns itself off it briefly makes an unusual sound, after shut down. It sounds a little like Captain Kirk beaming down from the Starship Enterprise. Maybe he's stuck inside and that's the problem!!! The monitor screen has developed a slight tick every so often too. I am not using a UPS or surge protector.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Adrian it may be worth running Apple Harware Test over the machine. If you do not have a copy for iMac, v. 1.2.2, download from the link and drag the .dmg file to the left hand column in Disk Utility and burn on to a CD.

The CD will be bootable by holding down 'C' on startup:-

http://www.info.apple.com/support/aht.html

Struth I loved my iMac 350 with its 10GB HDD and CD-RW optical drive but they are fair cows to crack open and do any work on!
QUOTE Thanks
adrian.bryant

I tried to run an Apple hardware test from the Mac OSX 10.3.9 disk that I am currently running on the iMac. It told me that my computer was incompatible with the Apple hardware test. Any other ideas on what I could try?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G5 tower fans running high unresponsive | G5 Dual 2.5 RAM capacity »