New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Mac Pro CD Rom won't open sometimes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Yash

Yash is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Dual 2.8 GHz Quad Core Processors, 2 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, 1.5 TB of storage.

Sometimes on my Mac Pro I want to open the DVD drive but it won't saying that its in use. I click eject in finder and it says can't open because drive is still in use. I have all DVD programs closed and nothing in force quit is using a DVD drive. I have to restart the computer to fix the problem. Any tips on how to fix this???
QUOTE Thanks
sisuk

sisuk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, MacBook CD

I used to have this problem all the time as well. Fortunately I haven't seen it in a while. Provided your problem is software like mine, not mechanical, then these are all the things I used to try:

1. Make sure all programs are closed.
2. Try using the eject button on the keyboard (obviously).
3. Try using the eject button in iTunes.
4. Try using the eject in Disk Utility.
5. Relaunch Finder in the Force Quit menu.
6. Check Activity Monitor for any processes that may be the cause (usually not the case).
7. Use the Manual Hardware Eject on the front left-side of the drive. Manually pull down the case door cover and push a straightened paper clip into the hole.
8. You can also try pressing the regular hardware eject button on the right side, but I was never able to get my paper clip through the grill at the right angle.

Apple wasn't successful in diagnosing the cause when I called them. Fortunately, it stopped happening. It may have been after a Leopard update that fixed it. I'm assuming you have the latest update - 10.5.4?
QUOTE Thanks
Yash

Yash is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Dual 2.8 GHz Quad Core Processors, 2 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, 1.5 TB of storage.

Yeah I should have the latest up dates. I download them everytime updates pops up. I'll run through that checklist next time it happens. Maybe the itunes one will help ejeect it, i hadnt tried that.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G5 Logic Board | imac setup assistant »