New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Why Cant I Download Anything??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hagaman

Ive only owned my Powermac D1.8 with OS10.3.7 for a few months, and Im still tring to make the transfer from windows. But I am being patient. However, a few problems have got my back up, and perhaps someone could help me as im determined to stick with My Mac.

I downloaded Firefox V1.0 and since then i cant download ANYTHING! but I can get updates and E-mail attachments. Download manager just errors straight away. IE5.2 is the same.

I dont seem able to reload my machine, dispite holding down "C" with the disk in the drive it just ignores it.

I have an Epson Photo890 which under XP Pro gave fantastic results. On the Mac its nothing short of Rubbish. Im using drivers direct from Epson and adjusting for best quality.

Is there a way to import Hotmail into Mac "Mail" or run Messenger?

Thanks for reading . Tony
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

you can get msn messenger from versiontracker.com, theres a plugin for mail, forgt the name, but it lets you recieve hotmail mail in mail. that download error is probably something on the sites end that youre downloading from. try a download from versiontracker.com.
why are you trying to 'reload' your mac? do you mean to reinstall the os? have you tried safari, its way better than IE and firefox.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

also, try deleting firefoxs preferences and emptying its cache, or firefox may have installed things that are causing an extension conflict, trust me, just use safari, its far superior and should solve all your problems, if not, repair permissions.
QUOTE Thanks
hagaman

Thanks Macman, Ive tried safari and get the same problem (Only downloads 8k then errors) I know it sounds dumb but how do you un-install programs in Mac OS! thinking I should uninstall Firefox.

About the re-load, yes I mean Format and reload the OS.

Thanks Tony
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagaman
thinking I should uninstall Firefox.

Thanks Tony
just drag it to the trash from applications. dont reinstall the whole OS.
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

Coming from the dark side, I completely understand your impulse to format and reinstall the OS whenever something goes wrong. It's the Windows way.

On OS X, you'll have to get out of that habit. It's VERY difficult to break the OS, and 99% of the time, you can easily fix problems.

Delete your Firefox settings (search for firefox.plist), repair permissions (this is done in Disk Utility, listed under "Utilities" in Applications), and reboot. Also, try several different download sites to make sure it's not the server itself.

As for your booting from CD problem, make sure you hold down "c" *after* the chime goes on, but not a second later. My PowerBook is quite picky as to when I push the "c" key. Failing that, try holding down the "option" key instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagaman
Thanks Macman, Ive tried safari and get the same problem (Only downloads 8k then errors) I know it sounds dumb but how do you un-install programs in Mac OS! thinking I should uninstall Firefox.

Thanks Tony

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
QUOTE Thanks
hagaman

Thanks Osiris22x. Must Admit Ive gone and formated it. partly because it still has the chap i bought it off data on it ( passwords and stuff, so wanted a clean start) lol, it runs alot better now Im very happy with it. Thanks for the advice so far from yourself and Macman

Do you know if you can change the Video Card on the Powermac? Its a Dual 1.42 with 20" TFT (so the pwr is in the vga lead)

Regards Hagaman
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 tower with airport to Kids Gateway pc | web sharing on osx »