New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Which 24" Should I get?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rookies

rookies is on a distinguished road

Should i get the 2.8 or the 3.06 I will be upgrading memory when i get it.

As I know the 3.06 comes with a better gfx card and more hd space but is it worth the extra?
QUOTE Thanks
jroller

jroller is on a distinguished road

Probably not, but it, of course, depends on what you intend to do with it. If you are just a "typical user" the 2.8 will be fine.

My Macs: MacbookPro, MacPro, Lab of 30 various Macs
My Sites:Apple-inspired Tees ~ iSwitched ~ Fix My Mac~ Apple Buyer's Guide
QUOTE Thanks
big eee zee

big eee zee is on a distinguished road

If you are planning on maxing out the machines capabilites by having multiple processor intensive programs running at the same time, and they NEED to run perfectly, get the big one. otherwise, if you are gonna upgrade the memory yourself, just get the smaller one.

Thats what I did.
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

me personally i always want the best... b/c then you cant say well if i had this one i could have done this.. just my personal opinion. just get what you need you should have any major differences and if you need more HD space get a external..

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
rookies

My Main thing I am doing is Aperture work and photography.... But what concern me is that i could get a dell system half the price high in specs?
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

The GeForce 8800 will be better for games, but if you're not into that then the 3.0Ghz would be a massive waste of money.

I'd get the 2.8Ghz. Because they're the same class of CPU, you wouldn't even notice if you were using a 1.8Ghz or a 3.0Ghz Core 2 Duo.
QUOTE Thanks
rookies

I have notice that aperture is slower on my MBP which is 2.16 compare to a 2.8 is this cos the HD on the MBP not as fast as the Imac?
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Yep, the standard MBP has a 5400RPM drive, whereas the iMac's is 7200RPM.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac G3 and iLife 08 | iMac to LCD »