New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - memory upgrade?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

big eee zee

big eee zee is on a distinguished road

Greetings all! I just purchased a refurbished 24" aluminum imac, with core 2 duo 2.4 ghz and a gig of ram. I wanted to upgrade to more ram, but needed to know something. I know that the slot on the bottom of the case is empty, designed to make upgrading ram very very easy, and I like that.

However, it shipped with a gig of ram. I wanted to stick 2 gigs in the slot under the case, but I really dont want to open the thing up the first day I own it. I thought that on some machines the slots had to be balanced (i.e. you cant stick 2 gigs in one slot and one gig in another.) Is this the case here? if I have one gig internally, can I put a 2 gig stick in the outside slot, or am I limited to a one gig until I upgrade the internal memory?

Does anyone have any recommendations for cheap memory? Also, is it really just plug -n- play, or do I have to somehow tell the mac that I'm doing this?

Thanks guys!

Reid
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

As inexpensive as memory is nowadays, I would upgrade it to its maximum capacity - 2 x 2 Gb modules = 4 Gb total. You can find memory here:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memor...re_2_Duo/DDR2/

There's also Crucial. www.crucial.com

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
coltssaturday

coltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nice

And put the other 1 gig module for sale on ebay!
QUOTE Thanks
big eee zee

its not money, its effort. Both of my cars are old and constantly need work, my motorcycle is constantly broken, and I maintain all of them myself. I'm sick of taking crap apart to work on it, I paid a pretty decent sum of money for this thing, and honestly I'd like to own something that just WORKS from the getgo, and needs no "tinkering". That, and its too expensive for me to start taking apart right away. My only real question is, can I put a 2 gig stick in the outside slot, with a one gig stick inside the computer?

hahaha, ya just get tired of taking stuff apart after a certain point...
QUOTE Thanks
boarderjosh10

boarderjosh10 is on a distinguished road

yes you can, I have a 24inch imac with 3gb of ram in it, it takes 5 minutes max to unscrew the two screws holding on the panel for the ram and then a minute to pop out the old sticks/add the new sticks (just make note of which way the notch on the stick goes in the machine. Theres also a video on youtube describing the process.
QUOTE Thanks
axis3100

axis3100 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06GHz 500GB HDD 4GB Ram

There is almost no work involved in changing the Ram in an iMac. All of the Ram can be accessed by removing two screws on the bottom of your iMac. Here is directions on how to change your Ram directly from apple http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1432

24" 3.06GHz iMac 4 Gb RAM
2.1GHz Macbook
16 GB iPod Touch
6 GB iPod Mini
QUOTE Thanks
big eee zee

oh...I thought that some of the ram was inside the computer...that was dumb of me, I should have ordered 4 gigs of ram...

oh well, 3 gigs should do me just fine...it is 3 times what I have now
QUOTE Thanks
Paladine

Paladine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis3100 View Post
There is almost no work involved in changing the Ram in an iMac. All of the Ram can be accessed by removing two screws on the bottom of your iMac. Here is directions on how to change your Ram directly from apple http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1432
It depends on what iMac you have:

http://www.apple.com/support/imac/intel/

Identify your iMac
PC2-6400 SO-DIMM Ram

iMac 24" | Intel 2.8 Extreme Core 2 Duo | 4.0 GB Ram | ATI 2600 HD PRO | 500 GB
QUOTE Thanks
tombarker24"

tombarker24" is on a distinguished road

I have an IMac 24" (late 2006) model and I'm wanting to upgrade the RAM also. I know that it supports 3GB but can anyone give me an idea as to where to get a 2GB and a 1GB RAM card for cheap? Maybe this is a stupid question but is there a chance that it'll run better with just 2x1GB instead of 2GB + 1GB?
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

I upgraded my iMac 20" a few minutes ago. It came with 2GB = 2 x 1GB. I ordered from Crucial by following the link on the top of this website. I removed the cover panel (a little fiddly and it doesn't seem to have gone back in flush with the base, but I suppose it is not likely to fall off). I removed the 2 memory boards and fitted 2 x 2GB instead. It took no more than 5 minutes and it seems fine.

Now to test it.
QUOTE Thanks
detpenguin

detpenguin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4g, 4gb Ram | iPod Touch 8GB

This is my first mac, one of the first things i did was to upgrade my ram. It was quick(took only minutes), easy and completely painless. Now I'm in the process of learning OS X. I was raised on windows, and also use Slackware Linux. I thought i knew a lot. I was a little wrong on that. I like the challenge of learning mac, and am completely surprised at the ease of things.
My biggest hurdle is basically unlearning windows, as I seem to expect everything to be somewhat complex. I'm not finding complex in mac or OS X. So far i'm nothing less than impressed with this iMac. It's great!
QUOTE Thanks
neilf

neilf is an unknown at this point

Hi,
Just being tight with cash at the moment but if I replace one of my 1gb mem modules with a 2gb module (to make 3gb in all), does it matter which 1gb module I should replace?
This is a 2.8 24" iMac.

Thanks

N
QUOTE Thanks
zacharace

zacharace is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilf View Post
Hi,
Just being tight with cash at the moment but if I replace one of my 1gb mem modules with a 2gb module (to make 3gb in all), does it matter which 1gb module I should replace?
This is a 2.8 24" iMac.

Thanks

N
Correct me if I'm wrong, but no, shouldn't matter at all.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

If the 24"imac only supports 3Gb why does Apple sell them with the option of 4Gb? Perhaps it's a question for Apple?

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
Poi Pounder

Poi Pounder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawday View Post
If the 24"imac only supports 3Gb why does Apple sell them with the option of 4Gb? Perhaps it's a question for Apple?
I have a 24" iMac 2.4 that came with original 1Gb, I bought a Kingston Kit to upgrade to 4MG but I can't seem to get my Mac to boot with 2+2. Both new memory cards work with the original 1 Gb installed, but they won't work together leaving me maxed out at 3 Gb. I read that someone had a similar problem but you are the first to say that it only supports 3 Gb, but that has been my experience. Where can I read more?

If anyone has stumbled their way through a better solution I would appreciate any pointers.

C
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G5 Dual 2.5 RAM capacity | Buying advice? »