Nvidia 8800GT or 4xATI HD 2600XT

Hey!

I'm now in the process of choosing the configuration for my high end Mac Pro and I was wandering which graphics to buy. I know that the 4x crossfire should logically be better with the higher combined ram and 4 GPUs, but I don't really know how crossfire of 4 cards is supported by applications such as cinema 4D, Maya, Blender, video editing and other creative applications. How about hooking on more monitors? Are there any drawbacks to 4x crossfire?

Also, is it possible to use non apple RAM in Mac Pro, since the ones that you can add at order are very expensive.

Thanks for answers.

Specs:
    Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinijax View Post
    Hey!

I'm now in the process of choosing the configuration for my high end Mac Pro and I was wandering which graphics to buy. I know that the 4x crossfire should logically be better with the higher combined ram and 4 GPUs, but I don't really know how crossfire of 4 cards is supported by applications such as cinema 4D, Maya, Blender, video editing and other creative applications. How about hooking on more monitors? Are there any drawbacks to 4x crossfire?

Also, is it possible to use non apple RAM in Mac Pro, since the ones that you can add at order are very expensive.

Thanks for answers.
    Crossfire and SLi do not exist within Mac OS.

You will get no advantage from multiple graphics cards other than multiple monitor support, get the faster single card.

You do not need Apple branded memory see Crucial or Kingston
    Experienced computer user, applications programmer and component level service engineer but came to the Apple platform with intro of intel!. Pro-photographer and director of electronics company.

Thread Information