New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

I have no idea how serious this is

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rob Chase

OK..so lately my internet connection has been terrible...on and off, I don't know whether it is due to the connection itself or my computer. The thing that worries me though is when the screen gets a dark grey mask and everything freezes up and it tells me to restart my computer manually in like 4 different languages...It usually occurs soon after I restart or try to use an internet based app...any help would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Thats a kernal panic....not good
I have had a mac for 17 months without a single kernal panic. If you are getting them repeatedly you probably have a logic board problem so I would get in contact with apple

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

What's with all these "logic board" problems. It's stupid that you have to pay to get it fixed if they shipped you a defect machine. It's making me not wanna get a mac!!! Anyways, instead of bringing it to apple, can you ship it to them and they will pay?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Where did I say that he has to pay for it? If he is still under his warranty period or has apple care's extended warranty he won't have to pay a dime for it

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Danster

sometimes when i put my imac to sleep it takes ages to wake up then when it does it's logged out then when i log in it tells me to restart any idea whats happinging i dont get them frequently but they have happend quite a lot about 5-6 time since the 1 1/2 months i have had it
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Chase
OK..so lately my internet connection has been terrible...on and off, I don't know whether it is due to the connection itself or my computer. The thing that worries me though is when the screen gets a dark grey mask and everything freezes up and it tells me to restart my computer manually in like 4 different languages...It usually occurs soon after I restart or try to use an internet based app...any help would be greatly appreciated.
kernel panics are rare, and not good. what os are you running? does happen only when performing specific tasks or running certain apps? I would say to try repairing permissions booted from panther install disk 1, and while youre there, use disk first aid and then zap the pram before accepting it as a logic board problem, though thats what it sounds like, if you can bypass taking it in, do so.
also, since this started, have you installed any new hardware or software?
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danster
sometimes when i put my imac to sleep it takes ages to wake up then when it does it's logged out then when i log in it tells me to restart any idea whats happinging i dont get them frequently but they have happend quite a lot about 5-6 time since the 1 1/2 months i have had it
try what I mentioned in reply to rob chase, also, try using an app like preferential treatment to check for corrupt preferences, also, make sure in energy saver settings, if 'put hd to sleep' is checked, if it is, it may be causing part of the probem. also, delete the login window preferences, its hd>users>your username>
library>preferences>com.apple.loginwindow.plist. delete that, restart and try to see what happens.
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
Where did I say that he has to pay for it? If he is still under his warranty period or has apple care's extended warranty he won't have to pay a dime for it
I hear people on these forums, and on others, talking about getting a logicboard problem. (usuassly iBook) and having to pay for repair.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Many iBook G3 systems had a defective logic board. Repairs for this problem are free, under an Apple warranty extension
http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

This, however, did not cause kernel panics.

The most common cause of repeated random kernel panics is defective memory. Usually, bad memory will be relplaced by the company that sold it.

Defective logic boards can also cause kernel panics, as can defective hardware or bad kernel extensions (kexts) such as drivers. A bad modem or ethernet card, or bad driver for the modem or ethernet interface could cause kernel panics while using the internet.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
Many iBook G3 systems had a defective logic board. Repairs for this problem are free, under an Apple warranty extension
http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

This, however, did not cause kernel panics.

The most common cause of repeated random kernel panics is defective memory. Usually, bad memory will be relplaced by the company that sold it.

Defective logic boards can also cause kernel panics, as can defective hardware or bad kernel extensions (kexts) such as drivers. A bad modem or ethernet card, or bad driver for the modem or ethernet interface could cause kernel panics while using the internet.
this is why I asked about any recently installed hardware/software. newly installed drivers could easily cause extension conflicts, and as far as new hardware, unless hes replaced a major part of the computer recently, ram is a more easily attainable cause for these kernel panics.
QUOTE Thanks
Rob Chase

I installed new ram a few months ago, but it is a more recent problem....Should I contact the company?
QUOTE Thanks
edgefusion

edgefusion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram

The only times I've ever had a kernel panic is when I made them happen. By accident of course, don't try clicking "sleep" from the apple menu and turning off your mouse (if you have a wireless mouse) at the same time. It seems if you try waking the computer after that, the fan goes into overdrive and the system crashes. Weird.

QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Chase
I installed new ram a few months ago, but it is a more recent problem....Should I contact the company?
where did you get the ram from? what brand is it? give us some info on it, it could have just gone bad, or come bad when you got it, did the kernel panics start within a certain period of time after installing it?
QUOTE Thanks
Danster

You should charge a fee for all this expert advise macman

but that's what a windows forums would do

QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danster
You should charge a fee for all this expert advise macman

but that's what a windows forums would do

thanks, that is what a windows forum would do. but were mac users, and its a group effort, not just me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac G5 20" model description (my personal experience) | My New Imac + memory Install Pics :) »