New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - G4 Dual 867 Mhz 2gb Ram--display Problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

murdocity

murdocity is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powermac G4 Dual 1GHZ 1 GB sdram 40 GB HD OS X LEOPARD

I just bought an Apple 17" flat display. It is the one that has the acrylic case. I connected it to the back of the mac and it seems that when I turn on the monitor the fans are working harder and louder. What can it be and how can I fix this? By the way I'm not too mac savy. Please someone help. thanks
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Take it the display is an Apple 17" LCD with Apple Direct Connect (ADC)? If so and connected to the standard ATI Radeon 9000 Graphics Card with ADC, you should not have to actually turn the display on ~ should start up as the computer boots.

Check the correct connections are hooked up as ADC and DVI look pretty similar.
QUOTE Thanks
murdocity

I checked and it is plugged in correctly, but I turned the computer on and I opened the side to see where the noise was coming from and it looks like its the power supply fans, the power supply that I have is 400w max. Could it be that I have to get a power supply with more watts or should I just get an LCD that has its own independent power supply? thanks
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it an Apple Direct Connect LCD or a DVI? DVI requires a power supply but the ADC will get power and USB to unit from the one cable? The 400w will be ample as I take it the computer is a MDD model.
QUOTE Thanks
murdocity

it is a direct connect monitor. I tried connecting a different monitor but I get the same result. The noise is loud, do you think if I upgraded to a better video card it would solve my problem. I currently have the Nvidia GeForce4 MX 32mb with the dvi and adc connectors. thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Perhaps see if you can get another display working as video cards are not cheap. If you are running Leopard the current card will not be Core Image compatible, and maybe not even Quartz compatible.

Is it the fans on the power supply, processor or actual fan unit on the video card howling? If someone you know in a Mac User Group or such has a card without a fan unit, such as an ATI Radeon 9200/9600 that may help?
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

Is there an outside chance the video card has a fan on it and may be dirty making things run hotter? How about hitting the power supply with some condensed air to clean it out as well?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« cd drive issues | Can I use an iBook G3 modem? »