New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

My Imac is running painfully slow

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thegrateful

We recently purchased a new imac it is running os x and has 256 mb ddr sdram and a 1.25 ghz power pc g4. The computer has been running slow since the first day. Very laggy, it takes forever to open programs and it crawls on the internet and i have cable. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I am about ready to freak out.....
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

Well...this MAY be your lack of Ram(I've personally never ran a system with 256 MB, but they do so at the apple stores..and I concur...they DO LAG!!!) I SERIOUSLY suggest upgrading to at least 512 MB.

Although regardless of the cause of this, you should upgrade your ram, I'm still not entirely sure that it's your ram... If you close all apps...Just leave Finder Up...(That was a kinda pointless statement ) Are things still laggy?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

If you only has 256 mb of memory, I would increase it. Your system would run better if you da a minimum of 512mb of memory.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Looks like I just repeating the same thing as ApplejustWorks.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
thegrateful

It still runs very slow when everything is closed.
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

Then I would say give Apple a Call.. Even with the 256 MB, it really shouldnt be laggy with everything closed
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac G5 versus Power PC G4 | Refurbs from OWC »