New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Mac Pro Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jeffro283

Jeffro283 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

My name is Drew, and I am in the market to upgrade my Mac Pro, as well as purchase a laptop. This is essentially a repost of a topic on a different forum, but I want to try and get as many different opinions as possible before I make a desicion. If I am breaking any major rules, feel free to scream at me.

Last summer, I purchased a Mac Pro. Here are some of the adjustments that I made:

+4GB RAM
+400GB 7200 RPM WD Hard Drive

Thus far, I have loved every minute of it. However, this summer, I have some extra cash, and I am thinking of upgrading some more portions of it. Before I ask about specific components, I will give a little bit of background on what I do.

I am primarily a CG Artist. I work mainly with 3D Modeling and Animation (which I will get to later), while also working with 2D Animation, large-format print editing, vector illustration, and video editing.

I have rarely encountered problems with my computer "hanging," but there have been instances, and I would like to know if there is anything that I could do to speed my machine up. Here are things that I am looking into purchasing:

-Faster Hard Drive (10000 RPM+?)

-Another Graphics Card

-4GB More RAM

I know I need specific parts, but is there anyone here who can point me in the right direction as to speeding up things? As I said, I work mainly with 3D Modeling and Animation, so render times are a big deal for me.

I have also been thinking on getting a second monitor...is there anyone here who can attest to how good/bad of an idea that is?

For my final issue with my Mac Pro...and this is terrible...I, through my education, have been taught 3DS Max. Therefore, I typically elect to use 3DS Max for all my 3D Needs. However, I have had issues for the better part of a year with 3DS Max and Boot Camp. This is not the issue that I am inquring about, but rather, I want to know if anyone has experience with Mac Pros and Windows XP 64-Bit/Vista 64-Bit. I assume that my render times and processing times in general will be greatly reduced with 64-Bit Windows, but I am not sure. Is there anyone who can share experience with this?

Whoo...that's a lot to take in. Sorry about the novel, for anyone who is still reading, and I want to thank you in advance for your help. I have one final matter to attend to...

My school is currently instituting a new Laptop program, where students need to bring their own Laptop and software to class. I have no problem with this, other than the fact that I just spent $4000 on a desktop last summer. I am currently in the market for a Laptop, and I am leaning HEAVILY toward a Macbook Pro. I am mainly wanting to use this computer for class, and to work on things while I am traveling. I would like to be able to do a generous amount of 3D stuff on this laptop, but not necessarily render entire projects. Would it be sufficient to purchase the base Macbook Pro, and possibly put a bit more RAM in it? I am wanting this laptop to be able to do a good amount of CG work, but I also want it portable (read: 15-inch, long as possible battery life...I know CG stuff can greatly diminish battery power). At first, I was leaning more toward the Macbook, but for 3D, I feel like it will totally fail me. Also, does anyone here have experience with Apple refurb products? I have seem some relatively cheap Macbook Pros coming up lately, and that piqued my interest.

Anyway, thank you for reading all this, and I hope to hear from some of you soon!

Drew
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« g5 or mac mini for film editing??? | G4 CPU upgrade in the UK »