New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Probs copying a files > 2GB

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DoyleS

I recently had a partitioned IBM Deskstar 120GB drive on a DP450 G4 lose the partition with the operating system on it. I reinstalled OS X on another drive that was in the system and then could see all of the partitions except the one with the original operating system. Concluding the drive was bad, I decided it was time to install backup protection. I added a Tempo ATA 133 card and a WD 120 GB drive with 2 MB buffer. I then proceeded to try to copy all of my QT video files from the problem Drive to the new backup drive. All went well until I tried to copy files that were greater than 2 GB. Copying starts and then as it gets to 2 GB I get an error message that says Error -50. When I installed the new drive, all I did was initialize it. I can copy the files from the problem drive over firewire to an external drive with no problem but cannot copy them to this internal drive. I am suspecting there is something about the drive or its file structure but do not know. I did update the Tempo ATA 133 card to the latest firmware at the recommendation of their service tech but still no difference. Any ideas on what the problem is would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Doyle
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

There maybe a file limitation. I know in various favor of Unix, Irix and AIX, there is a limit of 2GB. These versions you have to enable large file systems.

Apple may have that 2GB limit, they may have a switch to enable large file systems in the creation of the file system. Also it maybe be in Mac OS Server.

This is a guess on my part, due to past experiences.
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

ive transferred files larger than 2GB to an internal drive from firewire and network drives with no problems. you might want to try to run disk utility on your internal drive.

when looking through apple knowledge base, i couldnt find any error message "error -50" that related to your problem

http://search.info.apple.com/?q=%22e...g_en&search=Go

QUOTE Thanks
DoyleS

Thanks for the inputs. I guess one of my questions is whether I needed to something other than iniitalize the drive. It came out of the box. I put it in the machine and it asked me if I wanted to initialize it. Not sure if it maybe is originally setup for a PC system and therefore needs some sort of full formatting.

..Doyle
QUOTE Thanks
DoyleS

Well, I figured it out and as you might expect, it was cockpit error. When I initialized the new 120 GB drive, I hit a quick return instead of reading the options and initialized the drive as HFS instead of HFS+ which is the extended format. So, I reinitialized the drive and now it easily copies 6 GB files.

Thanks for the forum, sometimes you just need a place to help you think through the problem.

..Doyle
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

So HFS+ is large file enable. Thanks for the info.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need Some Help In Buying | G5 Ram »