New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

new RAM causing problems for G5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MPS_Steve

Recently I tried installing two sticks of 512 MB RAM in my G5. The computer acted flaky after that. The RAM is from Shikatronics and has a sticker on the modules which says "SAP-512MEG G5333". The printing on the chips says "SAMSUNG 202 K4H560838C-TCB3 ZKA154BJ KOREA". Is there something wrong with this RAM? I was told it's compatible with a G5. Any advice would be apppreciated.

QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I took a look around and that RAM appears to be compatible. Have you tried making sure that the RAM is seated completely in the slots. If not it could just be bad sticks of RAM

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
MPS_Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
I took a look around and that RAM appears to be compatible. Have you tried making sure that the RAM is seated completely in the slots. If not it could just be bad sticks of RAM
The machine posted and loaded the OS but things were never stable. We actually have three identical modules. I tried them all in various slots and combinations. The results of the hardware tests never pointed to a particular module as being the problem. It almost seemed to be random. I'm beginning to suspect there's something wrong with the mobo. I'd like to try a different RAM manufacturer though. Any suggestions? I just wondered if anyone else had issues with this RAM in particular.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

This is one reason why I only use RAM that is tested and 100% guaranteed to work with my Mac, and is sold by a vendor that specializes in Macintosh.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

Id suggest looking at kingston, theyre ram is very good, as far as places to buy ram, always go with OWC or crucial.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« This mac behaves like a spoiled child at bedtime | whirling G5 fans »