New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - Mac-Mini HTPC Video-Out Problems (DVI to Component)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

m021478

m021478 is on a distinguished road

I recently decided to go with a Mac-Mini as the central-brain of my HTPC configuration, and I was immediately halted in the process of getting things working by my inability to properly output video from the Mac-Mini such that it's even visible on my 50" Plasma TV (Panasonic TH-50PHW3).

Neither of my A/V Receivers (Denon AVR-3805 & Denon AVR-2805) have HDMI inputs, but both of them have component video inputs for HD content, so I purchased the DVI-to-Component cable linked below to use for outputting video from my Mac-Mini to the Denon:
http://sewelldirect.com/DVI-to-Compo...-Cable-6ft.asp

Needless to say, nothing I've tried has been effective in my Mac-Mini being displayed on my Plasma TV??

Any thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

The mini works with any other monitor? Are you sure the connections are good on the Denon? Does it display anything, even like a No Signal" message?

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
m021478

m021478 is on a distinguished road

I just read the footnote at the bottom of the page I linked to in this thread's initial post, in which it points out that this DVI-to-Component cable will not work with a PC or Mac!!

Anyone have any alternate suggestions?

Unfortunately, due to my current A/V system configuration I cannot plug directly into my TV (all of my A/V equipment is located in a rack in the basement of my 3-story apartment, and my TV is located in the living room on the top floor...I would most likely be able to get video by plugging directly into the TV, but there would be no way to hook up the audio, as my speakers run through the receiver in the basement)

Seeing as how I cannot connect my Mini directly to my TV to use VGA, and also the fact that my receiver doesn't provide any HDMI inputs (the only HD input is does provide is 'component'), I need to somehow find a way to go DVI video-out from my Mac-mini to component-in on my receiver...As far as I can tell, this would appear to be the only way to maintain an HD quality output from my Mini to my TV...Any Thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice

Do have available DVI or VGA ports to use?

QUOTE Thanks
stevepalmer

stevepalmer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by m021478 View Post
I just read the footnote at the bottom of the page I linked to in this thread's initial post, in which it points out that this DVI-to-Component cable will not work with a PC or Mac!!

Anyone have any alternate suggestions?
Same problem here. My full-HD-Samsung has two component,but no hdmi input. Any chance that i got my mac mini connected?

Help highly appreciated!!!
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

Neither of you have DVI or VGA ports you can use? DVI is pretty similar to HDMI, minus the audio. VGA is similar to component minus the audio.
I have an $800 Samsung HD set and it has a VGA port. I use the DVI to HDMI cable to the TV and miniphone to RCA for the receiver for audio.

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by m021478 View Post
Unfortunately, due to my current A/V system configuration I cannot plug directly into my TV (all of my A/V equipment is located in a rack in the basement of my 3-story apartment, and my TV is located in the living room on the top floor...I would most likely be able to get video by plugging directly into the TV, but there would be no way to hook up the audio, as my speakers run through the receiver in the basement)
What's keeping you from plugging the Mini into the TV via VGA and then running the audio cable downstairs to the receiver? You would have to use two cables regardless of how you set up the Mini, and last I checked, audio cables can go quite far.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
jmztaylor

jmztaylor is on a distinguished road

Would this work at all?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9...es&mco=MTUzNTY

Then you can just use a 3.5mm plug to dual RCA plugs and you have it going. At least that is how I hook it up.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

Doesn't support HD.

QUOTE Thanks
jmztaylor

jmztaylor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryphotoguy View Post
Doesn't support HD.
Good point. I retract my statement
QUOTE Thanks
stevepalmer

stevepalmer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryphotoguy View Post
Neither of you have DVI or VGA ports you can use? DVI is pretty similar to HDMI, minus the audio. VGA is similar to component minus the audio.
I have an $800 Samsung HD set and it has a VGA port. I use the DVI to HDMI cable to the TV and miniphone to RCA for the receiver for audio.
I just had the chance to check again with my full-HD television. I indeed do not have a DVI or HDMI input. However, I do have a VGA input. If I connect my macmini to the VGA input, will I have the chance to watch full-HD? What cable would I need and is there really no way to connect the macmini over Component.

Help is highly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

Yes, VGA supports resolutions higher than the 1080p resolution of your TV.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« This is a really, really stupid about burning CD's | Complete Newbie who needs some advice »