New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

'YANQUI' overzealousness or practicallity...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ajresovsky

ajresovsky is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.93GHz Quad-core Intel Xeon processor RuningSnoLeopard v 10.6.4 DDRe

Why we American( from Tim [ Mr. Tool-time] Allen to Nuclear( use a chain-saw
to cut a stick of butter) Power Plants, to SUVs designed to do 120mph. Where
am I going?
I just purchased and love my 1.6GHz G5 and notice none of the apple websites mention it. Like did they discontinue it? When I chose 1.6 rather than
1.8 or 2.0GHz I read something that implied that manufacturers equip them with too much speed ( sound familiar?) Unless one planned on doing
video editing one desn need it.
My two cents!!!

A-a-h Yes, A Computer without windows, is like a fish
without a bicycle, :mad:
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajresovsky
Why we American( from Tim [ Mr. Tool-time] Allen to Nuclear( use a chain-saw
to cut a stick of butter) Power Plants, to SUVs designed to do 120mph. Where
am I going?
I just purchased and love my 1.6GHz G5 and notice none of the apple websites mention it. Like did they discontinue it? When I chose 1.6 rather than
1.8 or 2.0GHz I read something that implied that manufacturers equip them with too much speed ( sound familiar?) Unless one planned on doing
video editing one desn need it.
My two cents!!!
I think it is mostly a matter of what you actually need. The majority of us could probably get by with an ibm style 286, but we all like the rush of the latest and greatest. I drive a 1967 Chevie El Camino the vast majority of the time cause it does what I need with reasonable gas mileage, however, there is nothing I like better than driving my 1970 Chevelle SS with 533 horsepower getting 9 miles to the gallon...(See avitar) I feel it's the same with computers... I love my G5 duel 2's, but i certainly could do what I need to do with a 500 mhz quite easy...
QUOTE Thanks
edgefusion

edgefusion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram

Maybe you should email Apple and tell them to stop making fast computers? Tell them to bring back OS 9 while you're at it.

QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

A 1.6 GHz G5? Are you crazy? Nobody needs that kind of speed. I've got my 867MHz G4, and that's all the speed anyone really needs. :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I personally use a 64Mhz processor with 8MB ram...

It's a G-6
QUOTE Thanks
ajresovsky

ajresovsky is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.93GHz Quad-core Intel Xeon processor RuningSnoLeopard v 10.6.4 DDRe

Hi again,
No, I didn't mean as an affront on progress, I just think it odd that, here
in Amerika we equate 'better' in terms of: How fast, rather than cost less
use less energy, but by talking in that manner I could jeapordize my standing.
I was just curious as why apple.com doesn't even acknowledge that below 1.8
there is/was a 1.6!

A-a-h Yes, A Computer without windows, is like a fish
without a bicycle, :mad:
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajresovsky
I was just curious as why apple.com doesn't even acknowledge that below 1.8
there is/was a 1.6!
For the same reason they don't advertise my 900 MHz G3 iBook or my Beige G3 AIO. They're no longer available, but if you go to the support section you'll still find plenty of information on them.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« whirling G5 fans | IMac G5 Graphical concern »