New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - My iMac isn't reading any CD's

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macmommy

macmommy is on a distinguished road

I'm a brand new iMac user and seem to be coming up with obstacle after obstacle in making my switch.

For the last month I've had no problems with using my CDrom.

A couple of days ago, I tried to run boot camp to install Windows. Yes, I do have XP Service Pack 2 Retail Version. During the boot camp installation, I inserted the Windows CD when prompted, just to have the Mac spit out the CD and say the installer disk could not be found. After multiple attempts of this I figured I would go to Disk Utility to see if I could see any files that were being read. Disk Utility was empty and no CD was on my desktop.

After that I put in several CD's and movies that I know worked prior and the iMac would try to read them, but then just eject them after about 30 seconds.

I called Apple Care and they told me to take it to a repair shop. I took the iMac in and they called me back to say they had no problem reading any CD's.

After I brought my computer home, the CD rom still didn't work. I rebooted and this time it did. I could see the contents of my Windows XP CD. So, I tried to run bootcamp again. Same problem, it says the installer disk could not be found. Now, not a single CD works. I've tried rebooting, and that doesn't help.

I'm frustrated that the Apple Store couldn't find anything wrong with my computer, yet I can't get it to read CD's. It seems that BootCamp has done something with my CD drive and made it so I can't read CD's. Either that, or Apple makes installing Windows so painful that I just give up.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmommy View Post
A couple of days ago, I tried to run boot camp to install Windows ... During the boot camp installation, I inserted the Windows CD when prompted, just to have the Mac spit out the CD and say the installer disk could not be found ... Disk Utility was empty and no CD was on my desktop ... I took the iMac in and they called me back to say they had no problem reading any CD's.
Did you take the problematic CDs into the repair shop along with your iMac? If they're able to replicate the problem you're having with those particular CDs, then maybe they can find a cause and remedy.

Don't give up yet, there will be a solution.
QUOTE Thanks
woaiyumi

woaiyumi is on a distinguished road

How's it going with this problem? Has it been resolved?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Make it faster,cheaper? | Current Gen iMac sound system compatibility? »