New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac and PC together at last!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

psychotoe

Ok so here is what I am looking to do. I have the new 20"iMac. What I want to do is hook up my pc to it just the box and key board and moouse to use on one monitor but switch between the mac and the pc. I hope that makes sence, can this be done?
QUOTE Thanks
vuschejan

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychotoe
Ok so here is what I am looking to do. I have the new 20"iMac. What I want to do is hook up my pc to it just the box and key board and moouse to use on one monitor but switch between the mac and the pc. I hope that makes sence, can this be done?
There are devices out there that allow you to use the same monitor/keyboard/mouse and switch computers by pressing certain buttons, I forgot what they were called, but it can be done
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

KMV switches, I think. If you go to Belkin's site, you'll find some, I hear they make good ones.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

The thing is, you won't be able to use the iMac's monitor, since there is no video-in on the iMac.

You could put both machines on a network and use VNC to "remote control" the PC
http://homepage.mac.com/kedoin/VNC/VNCViewer/
http://www.realvnc.com/download.html
QUOTE Thanks
rberry88

rberry88 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook

Please do not buy a Belkin KVM switch to use between a PC and Mac. I went through 4 of them and all I got out of the tech support was "Well maybe you need to use them only on PC to PC switches, we don't fully support PC to Mac, but we'll let you RMA the device to see if a new one will work".

I found a KVM from IOGEAR that has the same features but it actually works 100% of the time.

Here is the one I got, no software to install (unlike Belkin) and it lets you use your Apple Keyboard and assign it to a Windows machine so Apple button becomes the Windows button, F14, F15 and F16 act as Print Screen, Scroll Lock and Pause/Break just as they would if you were using a Windows keyboard. And the great thing is, it is the same price as the Belkin one.

Here it is: IOGEAR KVM Switch

Sorry, just had way too many bad experiences with Belkin to let someone else go through what I did.

:spook:

Looking for a PowerMac G4 for $500 or less USD.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 'Open box' whatzat mean sales lingo??? | I can't connect my mac and pc with this router! »