New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Do Mac Pro components fit Power Mac? Advice needed for Project.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ben_danger

ben_danger is on a distinguished road

NB, I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT MACS

Hi there! I need a new computer, preferably a mac. But funds are tight and I would like to recycle some items a friend has given me from his tragically destroyed mac pro.

The components are:

• The two cards that are used to slot ram onto
  • 8x 512Mb RAM to go into these slots
  • Ati Radeon X1900XT 512MB Video Card X1900 PCIE
  • 4x 750Gb Hard Disks
  • The DVDR drive

Basically anything we could easily pull out.

Could I fit these into an old Powermac? To buy a MacPro without these would cost as much as making one with them. I am looking to get a cheaper deal on ebay (UK).

If anyone has any ideas, or any knowledege of what i can do with them please share your thoughts, its would be a shame for the components to gather dust like they are now.

thanks

ben
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

The RAM cards cannot be used; nor can the RAM. I'm 90% sure the video card will not work since one system is Intel and one is PPC, but someone else will have to confirm that. You should be able to use the hard drives (PowerMac G5s only accept 2 hard drives at once) and the DVDR drive without any issues.

QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

The 2 hard drives will only work in the G5 Power Macs. The DVD drive will fit into any Power Mac. Sell the rest cause they will only work in a specific Mac Pro, the one your friend had.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
ben_danger

ben_danger is on a distinguished road

thanks for the replies! aww. does anyone know where i could get a cheap mac pro that doesnt come with RAM, Graphics card, HDD? when i asked my mac retailer they said it would cost just as much as a new £1000 one, and would be pointless... but their a premium reseller.

anyone know?
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_danger View Post
thanks for the replies! aww. does anyone know where i could get a cheap mac pro that doesnt come with RAM, Graphics card, HDD? when i asked my mac retailer they said it would cost just as much as a new £1000 one, and would be pointless... but their a premium reseller.

anyone know?
I wouldn't bother doing that. Just configure it from the seller with the least amount of RAM, hard drive space, and cheapest graphics card they have. Then just put in the components you have.

QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

eBay- maybe you can luck out finding one where someone stole a lot of the internals. Otherwise, no. No Mac Pro was ever shipped incomplete. If one ships incomplete, it might be one to avoid. It's probably broken, like your friends.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My keyboard is misspelling words!!!! | Photobooth not working correctly »