New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Help Please! My keyboard on my desktop is screwy

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aaartnaz

aaartnaz is on a distinguished road

I need help with this problem I'm having with my keyboard for my iMac. The biggest problem is that it can't type any letters. It does respond to some things I type like numbers and punctuation marks but I have to hold down the control and option keys just to even get it to do that. When I press some of the letter keys they will respond by for example opening a program or closing a program or it will go to File, Edit, View. Not sure if I'm explaining myself right. Anyway, please help. This is really frustrating me Thank you for your help
QUOTE Thanks
aaartnaz

I think it could be some kind of set up for disabled persons to use the keyboard. I can't figure out how to turn this function off and make the keyboard function normally.
QUOTE Thanks
aaartnaz

I think what it's doing is the command key (the key with the apple logo and a pound sign) is locked. when i type a letter it will perform a command. like S is for save. I only have to type S and it will do a save command, without me holding the S key. Does anybody know what this is?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaartnaz View Post
I think what it's doing is the command key (the key with the apple logo and a pound sign) is locked. when i type a letter it will perform a command. like S is for save. I only have to type S and it will do a save command, without me holding the S key. Does anybody know what this is?
That reads like a dodgy keyboard. Can you try an alternative, eg. a friend's Mac computer with your k/b. If the problem replicates, then I think its the k/b that needs replacing.
[PS. I have a Genius k/b with the S key that keeps repeating. Nothing I can do fixes it, but PC k/b's generally work really well with OS X.]
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My iMac is dead. | Mac Memory do i need it »