New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Startup disk option

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

swetha

I need to test the applications on all the OS X.We got a new mac to the office and its hard disk has OS X 10.3.4 on it.My question is how to install the other operating systems i.e 10.2.0, 10.1.0 in the new mac.I am able to partition the hard disk but unable to load the software.Is it b'cos i am trying to install a lower version on a higher version,but why should that be a problem when i'm allocating a separate strtup disk for it.Even if i'm inserting the 10.2.0 cd and restarting the mac and holding the c button it is not booting from the cd.If anyone can give me some information on this that would be great.Its a new mac: Machine model -- eMac
CPU Type---- Power Pc G4 (1.1)
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

exactly, youd need to do an erase and install installing the lower OS, use it to partition, then install a newer OS on that partition.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

So you are saying to install 10.1 on clean system first. Then 10.2, followed by 10.3.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

Im pretty sure thats the only way, install as an upgrade onto a partition, then install the next os as an upgrade onto the next partition. though Im not sure why anyone would want to have 10.1 and 10.2 installed.
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

swetha, what you are doing is correct. Since you already have your drive partitioned, you probably can't install a prior version because of your hardware. Even if it wasn't partitioned you should be able to restart using a 10.2 install cd, unless the hardware forbids it.

Provided your hardware will allow you to install earlier OS'es, you can install OS'es on a different volume in any order.
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by immdb
…you probably can't install a prior version because of your hardware…
I've done quite a bit of research pertaining to the allowable systems for yor eMac. I've not found anything that indicates your eMac can't have OS 10.1 or OS 10.2.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G3 IMAC DV Problem | Best UK Broadband for OSX? »