New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Sometimes it takes too long to restart, what gives?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

xcapepr

xcapepr is on a distinguished road

I have a newish 24' iMac 2.8. Everything works fine. I recently purchased a WD 1TB MyBook Studio Edition external drive. It's hooked up all the time using the FW 800 port for Time Machine.

Sometimes the Mac takes 2 to 3 minutes or more booting up, it just hangs on the blue screen right after the gray screen with the spinny gear and before the desktop.

The iMac usually takes about 25 seconds from the button press to the desktop.

I can't help to think that it has something to do with the external drive being connected. It's quite random. Sometimes when it restarts, the disk is not mounted and I have to disconnect the FW cable and reconnect it again to get it to mount, there is no device removal dialog if you are wondering.

Anyone else have similar issues?

And also on a side note, it also takes a while to shutdown, mostly when Transmission was still running right before shutting down

iMac 24' Penryn - 2.8Ghz, 1TB Seagate Baracuda ES.2, 4GB OCZ PC-6400
MacBook Pro 15' Memron - 2.2Ghz, 250GB WD Scorpio, 4GB OCZ PC-5300
iPhone 3G 16GB
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

For starters go to System Preferences, assuming your are using some version of Leopard, Accounts and check Start Up items and make sure nothing is selected that will slow down your boot process.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcapepr View Post
Sometimes the Mac takes 2 to 3 minutes or more booting up ... I can't help to think that it has something to do with the external drive being connected.
I think you can put a ring around that. I've had similar issues with my eMac and its peripherals for many months now.

Macs are wonderful computers but the system is terribly precious about proper unmount and shutdown procedures. If it's not done just-so, then on restart the computer goes looking everywhere for the additional hardware it was connected to at the previous session - but not always!

Sometimes I shut down the computer without first ejecting the external hard drive for example. Then I might remember later, and switch off the ehd and unplug it. On restart, the Mac still goes looking for the ehd that was connected the previous day, but again - not always!

All I can suggest is that you go through the strictly-correct drag-to-trash or R-click-Eject procedure. Oh, and don't rush to unplug the peripheral item after its icon has disappeared from the desktop, especially after a first-time-in-session eject.

Quote:
there is no device removal dialog if you are wondering.
Do you even get that with Firewire? I know it's so with USB.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Yes hugh firewire likes to have the external drive icon dragged to the trash prior to disconnecting same as USB.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Serial to USB Adapter Not Recognized | acquired an iMac G3 »