New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Few questions about iMac G5 speed for todays apps

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AlfaFoxtrot

AlfaFoxtrot is on a distinguished road

I've been offered an old iMac G5 for not a huge amount of money (250). I need a computer for university and have been eyeing up Macs for a long time now. I want to spend as little as possible because money will be tight next year!

So I'm considering refurbished and 2nd hand Macbooks and iMacs. Question is, if I were to buy this G5 (it has a 1.8Ghz CPU and 2Gb RAM) would it run things like Aperture happily enough? I have to admit to being completely confused about Apple operating systems, could it run the latest one or is it now specific to Intel chips?

TIA.
QUOTE Thanks
justin_clark93

justin_clark93 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz

Assuming you have a PPC imac, then you will NOT be able to run the newest OS version (10.6) that is coming out within the next year, but you will be able to run 10.5 Leopard (like i am now) on that computer. thanks
QUOTE Thanks
justin_clark93

justin_clark93 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz

o and i think it will run aperture well enough
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_clark93 View Post
Assuming you have a PPC imac, then you will NOT be able to run the newest OS version (10.6) that is coming out within the next year,
While that is entirely likely, it has not yet been confirmed.

That news is a rumor based on an alleged screenshot of Snow Leopard's system requirements. The grab supposedly comes from an early version of the OS seeded to developers at WWDC.
Seeing that the pending release date is still a year away, anything could be possible.

There is nothing on the official Apple site to either confirm, nor deny anything.
The only hint is that it will be a 64-bit OS, so perhaps G4's and lower will be out... but the G5 chip is a 64-bit chip.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/snowleopard/

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

10.6 won't change any APIs so all software should run on Leopard (10.5) for way beyond 2009. This is one of the reasons Apple could afford to leave PPC out of 10.6

To answer the OP question, it really depends on exactly what you want the machine to do. The G5 is now essentially 3 generations old and by next year will be 4 generations old. However, that does not mean it cannot do what you need it to. For general browsing, watching movies, world processing, photo editing etc, it should be fine for the next few years. Aperture runs a lot better on Intel chips than PPC chips now, but many Pro users will have their old G5s and it's still a capable machine.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
AlfaFoxtrot

AlfaFoxtrot is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help all. It's what I thought, probably ok but getting a bit long in the tooth now. It's tempting at the price, but I don't want to be buying into obsolete chips, as there's no upgrade potential whatsoever.

I'll keep looking for cheap Intel Macs!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« USB question | Verifying Hard Drive Issue »