New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Which is better ? iMac slot-load 700 or G4 tower 500 dual ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

johnwd5

johnwd5 is on a distinguished road

Hello, for simple straightforward use (ie, no video, art stuff) which is the better machine in your opinions ?

700Mhz slot-load iMac (PC100 ram)
Dual 500Mhz G4 tower (pc100 ram)

also I might be able to get a Dual 450Mhz if I don't get the 500 Dual.

OR a 800Mhz G4 tower.

I know my kid will want to use it for stuff and usually the requirements are minimum 800Mhz.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwd5 View Post
which is the better machine in your opinions?
700Mhz slot-load iMac (PC100 ram)
Dual 500Mhz G4 tower (pc100 ram)
Dual 450Mhz if I don't get the 500 Dual.
800Mhz G4 tower.
Of those 4 options and the uses you say the computer will be put to, and considering things like space occupied, no external monitor required etc, I'd suggest the iMac. I suppose its major drawback is that it's USB 1, which is slow by today's measure, but that also applies to the other models you've listed. You'll hardly notice the speed difference between 700 and 800 MHz.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

are you going to connect a modern iPod to any of those systems?
QUOTE Thanks
johnwd5

Yes, definitely a 4th generation iPod. But that would be for listening out of the iTunes/speakers rather than using it as a gateway to putting tunes on it.

Would a dual 450 be noticeably different to the 700-imac ? Or a dual 500 for that matter. Max ram would likely be 512mb, I'm guessing.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwd5 View Post
Would a dual 450 be noticeably different to the 700-imac ? Or a dual 500 for that matter. Max ram would likely be 512mb, I'm guessing.
The 'dual' bit is for raw power rather than speed. Dual processors were great for heavy-duty graphic and sound editing work. Yes, you would notice a speed difference between a 450 or 500, and a 700.

I recommend that you get Mactracker (it's free) to compare. For example, it will show that you can put 1 Gb of RAM in an iMac 700 (the last of the early, colorful iMacs), more in a tower machine, depending on the OS you intend using.

Respecting your budgetary decisions, have you considered an eMac? From 2004, they went to USB 2 and into GHz-level processing speed.
QUOTE Thanks
johnwd5

Last Xmas I bought one cheap, on ebay, it was listed as working, just needed some bits to add plus HD. The shipper did an almighty ballsup of the packing. It shipped in a plastic bin liner with half the amount of packing peanuts and foam needed to ensure a safe transit. I installed all I needed and got the chime. 2 hours later after doing my updates and checks I got 3 beeps and no chime or screen. The shipper offered a partial refund, I relisted on eBay and basically lost about $10 after all was said and done.

I would love to try an emac but money's tight and the machines I mentioned are pretty much near free and for the taking.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Personally I would go for the 500MHz DP Gigabit Ethernet. It will take 2GB RAM, you can install a faster 7200 RPM HDD with 16 or 8MB cache, and faster graphic cards such as an ATI Radeon 9000 Mac Pro with 128MB RAM.

Also towers are great to work with to change HDD, memory, optical drives and burners, AGP Graphics Cards and PCI cards such as USB 2.

Later on if you wish you can install a CPU upgrade to run leopard.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« April 08 iMac 20" - Best RAM? | Editing with the Mac mini »