New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - Two questions 'bout Mac mini

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nerubz

nerubz is on a distinguished road

I'll use this thread to say hi to all mac users out there, since it's my first post

So I've been using my new Mini for like 3 days and I'm totally amazed by it (mostly by OSX ^^), but I got some questions. Before someone flames me, I must say that I've googled like all day and couldn't find anything about it so...

1. I can send files to my samsung cellphone (through Bluetooth) but I can't receive any. It says Connection Failure or something similar.
2. My old and cheap PC mic doesn't work! I've read somewhere that I have to use USB mic but the source wasn't quite clear... any thoughts here?
3. Does iChat support voice chat with google talk? I saw it supports chat, but when a friend tried to call me (he's on windows) it said something about the person's googletalk version (my version).
4. Also, my webcam won't work.. any drivers out there for the $11,99 pieces of junk?

That's all for now,
Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
umang7888

umang7888 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.5 GHz 2 GB RAM 250 GB HDD NViDA GeForce 8600 GMT

1. For getting your files from your mobile to computer over the bluetooth, rather then trying to send them from your mobile, simply click on the bluetooth icon in your menu bar>Click on your Mobile Phone Name (under devices)>Browse Device.. Then you can simply click on get file button by clicking on the file you want from your mobile, you can also send the files to your mobile this way..!

iPod 5.5 Gen Video 30 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB |Airport Express |
MacBook Pro Penryn 2.5 GHz | 2 GB RAM | NVida GeFroce 8600 GMT|
QUOTE Thanks
nerubz

Yea about that... when I browse my mobile I don't see any files, just folders.
QUOTE Thanks
nerubz

How about the mic problem? Anyone have a clue what kind of microphones the Mini supports? Would appreciate some help here :s
QUOTE Thanks
Aztech

Aztech is on a distinguished road

Hmm, newbie questions... I was their once, prob still am actually lol !

Well, Number 1.

Due to the fact you can actually send files to your phone, this give me the impression your Bluetooth is actually working fine, so its a sharing issue... Go into your system preferences, click the icon "Sharing" and make sure that their is a tick in the box next to "Bluetooth Sharing" and configure the relevant options to the right (such as where to save stuff, etc)... that might be your problem...

Number 2...
USB Mic, sorry never heard of that issue... iv used several 3.5mm mic's over the years to record audio into my mac (when its been running windows and OS X)... so not sure about that one, sounds like it might be just a rubbish mic (sorry, eek)... but their are numerous USB ones out their, take a peak on the 'creative' webstore and see which ones come with OS X drivers (betting good money says it will be the most expensive ones lol)

Number 3...
Sorry, not too sure on this one, iv only used ichat once in my life (a freind wanted to test that 'replacing the background' stuff) but i seem to think that i did use my gmail account to log into ichat... but it was a while ago and im not sure, but if it was then we did do the video thing quite successfully !

Number 4...
their is a piece of software called macam, which is a generic driver for pretty much most USB webcams to use with OSX, alas its a paid for piece of software, but their is a trial, so u can see if it actually works for your webcam... Alas it never did for mine, but good luck !

--- www.fluxbox.co.uk --- Pownce Me Baby --- Digg Me --- Facebook ---
The quiet ones are the ones who change the world, the loud ones only take the credit !
QUOTE Thanks
Aztech

Aztech is on a distinguished road

link for macam http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/

--- www.fluxbox.co.uk --- Pownce Me Baby --- Digg Me --- Facebook ---
The quiet ones are the ones who change the world, the loud ones only take the credit !
QUOTE Thanks
nerubz

Thanks I'll just have to jump and try a USB mic after all. I read something that the Mini supports only amplified microphones. That would mean.... what's an amplified mic? Sorry that english is my second language here

cheers
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G5 Power Issue | Upgrading Issues »