New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 for gaming?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CJCS

CJCS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro (17" Unibody, 2.93GHz, 8GB DRR3, 320GB 7200, Anti-Glare Screen)

So I just got ahold of one of these bad boys...

http://www.compuvest.us/ProductDetai...oductID=292882

...for my early 2008 edition Mac Pro, and I'm looking to do a little gaming. How does this thing compare to the 8800 card? I know workstation cards aren't usually ideal for gaming, but given that all the games are available for Macs are OpenGL-based, should it run just fine?

My specs are...(currently)

2x 3.2GHz Quad-Core Xeon "Harpertown" Processors
2GB (2x 1GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM)
ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB
1x WD 320GB 7200rpm HDD
1x Seagate 250GB 7200rpm HDD
16x Double-layer SuperDrive

23" Apple Cinema Display- 16ms, 1920x1200, 400:1

Right now I can play games comfortably on medium settings, but I'd like to really flex the muscles of this machine. I also have a copy of Windows Vista, and I'd love to see Crysis run maxed out at full resolution.

Thanks
CJCS
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

:updated below:

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
CJCS

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro (17" Unibody, 2.93GHz, 8GB DRR3, 320GB 7200, Anti-Glare Screen)

Well is the Quadro better than what I'm running now?

I'd always thought Workstation cards were bad for gaming because they had horrible DirectX rendering, but all the Mac games are done in OpenGL?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

It's been a while since I've seen gaming tests on Quadro or FireGL cards, so I did a little digging around. It seems as though nVidia has made some improvements starting with its FX 4xxx series that have Quadros better at gaming.

According to this forum, the Quadro does better than the 8800 in some tests, but worse than the 2600 in others. However, according to this review, it would seem as though the FX 5600 is on par with the 8800, if not a little faster. I read on a forum or two that Quadros have excellent OpenGL support, making them perfect for Mac gaming.

Overall, it works, it's just very expensive if your sole purpose of buying the card is gaming.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
CJCS

Well the card was given to me by a friend who no longer needed it, so I'm not out-of-pocket.

I'll pick it up this week and give it a whirl, and I'll be sure to post my results up some time next week.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

If you didn't pay for it, then you're essentially getting a card that performs at about the same level as the 8800, which is obviously much faster than the 2600XT currently in your machine.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« help with purchase | RAM Query »