New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Quicksilver startup issues - crashes except in safe mode

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

johnwd5

johnwd5 is on a distinguished road

I am trying to understand where the issue is with my G4 Quicksilver. I have a 1.47GhZ Fastmac processor and machine runs 10.4 (latest updates etc). If I boot up normally I get maybe 3-5 seconds of Apple logo then a short black square then crash. If I boot up in safe mode it starts ok, but then the system profiler sees 512mb of RAM in one slot, even when other slots have RAM in them. I suppose it's possible I have 4 bad sticks of other RAM but I'm a little confused by it all. If I run Applejack it crashes before I can get to run it, and memtest didn't respond to "x" when I typed that (without the quotes). Help ! Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Did you use any thermal paste when you installed the heat sink? Sometimes a touch of Artic Silver is required.

If problem still persists, have you got the original CPU to pop back in and see if all is well with that? If it is okay dodgy upgrade.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Is this a recent upgrade you did or has the system been working with that CPU and RAM before this?
QUOTE Thanks
johnwd5

The original 800mhz CPU was damaged, this cpu has worked on my other Mac in the past with no issues. I can't access it in order to apply thermal paste - honestly it looks secure enough, more secure in fact, compared to other cpu's i have seen or had. I don't know enough to pinpoint the issue but to have to work in safe mode and the Mac seeing only 512mb of RAM no matter what is put in it seem very odd.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Do you have other RAM you could substitute and see if that might be the issue. Seen bad ram do that more times than I can count.
QUOTE Thanks
johnwd5

Yeah, I plan to swap some more out today - thank you all for your guidance on this.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Worked on your other Mac - could it be the system bus speed needs changing? Not familiar with Fastmac CPU upgrades, however did have a Mercury Extreme which required different settings for 100MHz and 133MHz system bus speeds?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Worked on your other Mac - could it be the system bus speed needs changing? Not familiar with Fastmac CPU upgrades, however did have a Mercury Extreme which required different settings for 100MHz and 133MHz system bus speeds?
Good point Harry!

My Giga Design is the same way and has settings for 100, 133Mhz Bus, Voltage and even overclocking. I have noticed that Sonnet's seem to not have any jumpers which bugs me.
QUOTE Thanks
johnwd5

How do I change the system bus speed ? The jumpers are correctly set for the cpu itself, to 133mhz, same as the Quicksilver. Do I need to do something else ? And if so, why would it start ok in safe mode ? Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

If the jumpers are set to 133Mhz then it's right for a Quicksilver. We were just trying to be sure you had it set right, and now we know you do.

Did you try different RAM?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Here is a link to booting if you have to use Safe Mode:-

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Macs-Appl...cksilver-1.htm

Keep us posted.
QUOTE Thanks
johnwd5

I have a feeling it might be a preference issue in hard drive - reason being I found my old old 20gb drive, did a clean install of 10.3 on it, then disabled the sata I had and plugged in the 20gb drive. It booted without an issue ! The profiler still says the 512 stick of SDram is in slot 3 and it sees SDram in slot 2 but doesn't give a number/size to it, that has me very confused !

I guess I had better find my discs to do repair permissions. Then again I would have to plug the sata back in to do that - what a loop this is !
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwd5 View Post
I have a feeling it might be a preference issue in hard drive - reason being I found my old old 20gb drive, did a clean install of 10.3 on it, then disabled the sata I had and plugged in the 20gb drive. It booted without an issue ! The profiler still says the 512 stick of SDram is in slot 3 and it sees SDram in slot 2 but doesn't give a number/size to it, that has me very confused !

I guess I had better find my discs to do repair permissions. Then again I would have to plug the sata back in to do that - what a loop this is !
Some info on repairing permissions, you'll want to do that from the startup volume, and not the install disk. (Safe mode, if you still can't startup normally)

And if Safe mode works, consider what it's not using, to isolate the problem. Is a little odd the other drive would boot normally...
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564?viewlocale=en_US

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
johnwd5

I'm probably doing this the wrong way - previously I had ran disk utility from startup disk and it corrected some permissions. I have also ran Applejack (it just finished running it). I thought memtest was also installed but when i type x at the prompt the command isn't found. I just reinstalled Applejack and x still doesn't work.
QUOTE Thanks
johnwd5

I'm running memtest 4.22 version now, hopefully it will inform me of RAM issues.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Imac g5 wont boot--invalid memory access | Quad Xeon vs Harpertown »