New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - iMac dust in screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Graeme43

Graeme43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: I love student discount (sig)

Hey all

I got my first Mac in 2004, had an uncountable amount so far and the thing is, i converted my sister, mom & her husband to Macs... basically everyone but my dad. He eventually gave in and bought a 24" iMac early this year as his first Mac.

The thing is he noticed that behind the "glass" there is a noticeable dust buildup that is visible during dark images. I thought the screen is supposed to be a sealed unit? Is there anything he can do? Its not really fair on him to have an issue like this with his first Mac. It ain't really gonna give good first good impressions. He likes the operating system and this is really just something minor but it shouldn't be happening.

Any ideas if Apple sort this or what? thanks I tried to look it up but it seems that a lot aren't getting this or what hmm..

Thanx

iBook G3 (2001) 500MHz 384 RAM 9.2.2 / 10.2.8
Titanium PowerBook G4 (2001) 500MHz 768 RAM 9.2.2/10.2.8
Mac Pro (2007) 4x2.66GHz, 6GB RAM, 10.6.7
iPad 3G + iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
calenerd

calenerd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac

Well, I say bring it back to Apple and I'm sure they'll have it sorted out for you. Dust shouldn't build up THAT much, though I don't have any problems similar to this at the moment.

The dark is passion, the light is logic.
QUOTE Thanks
ajohnson253

ajohnson253 is on a distinguished road

ooooh thats a bummer i hate little stuff like that, ya like he said bring it to apple

 24" Aluminum iMac, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory  13.3-inch: 2.4 GHZ white MacBook
QUOTE Thanks
podboq

podboq is on a distinguished road

I noticed about 2 months after getting my 24" iMac, that the screen seemed darker in bands fanning out from the bottom left corner... simplest explanation is dust/muck whatever, Sooo I suction-cupped the plate of glass off, cleaned both sides with a safe cleaner, wiped down the lcd itself, which is covered in glass too, put it all back together...

Clean viewing again...

There are fans inside the iMac that can't but blow things between the LCD and it's plate glass cover... clean it.

The glass is very thin, but surprisingly strong, still, get a good soft suction cup so you don't have to press hard to get it to stick. Lift straight out from the body of the iMac, try not to tilt it at all. Replacement doesn't require the suction cup, and it actually shouldn't be used, since your glass is now clean... the magnet retainers will grab it.

Let us know if this works.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Got my iMac & love it! | iMac Help, about refurb units and ram. »