New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

drive access

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Brand new mac user here, just brought home a new G5 today and having a lot of fun with it. I was under the impression that the mac could read a fat formatted hard drive, is this the case or not. I have an external hard drive that I have a lot of files on I was hoping to be able to transfer over. The files were all transfered from a windows machine running Xp.

It is a usb external fat formatted and when i plug it into a usb port on the front of the G5 a box comes up saying something about I have plugged in a drive it can't read and then goes away leaving me no way to see or get the files... Am i doing something wrong or won't the mac read a fat formated drive?

Thanks for any help...
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

The Mac can read and write FAT32, and read NTFS. I'm not sure if it can read FAT16, as I never tried, but the last Windows using FAT16 was Win95, Win98 used FAT32.
So if yourMac can't read the drive, there's something else wrong, I guess
QUOTE Thanks
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
The Mac can read and write FAT32, and read NTFS. I'm not sure if it can read FAT16, as I never tried, but the last Windows using FAT16 was Win95, Win98 used FAT32.
So if yourMac can't read the drive, there's something else wrong, I guess
Thanks for letting me know. I was sure i had heard it could do fat32, but I've only been a mac user for a couple of hours and wasn't sure. The drive is formatted in fat32 so evidently there is another problem here. Possibly the drive has gone out... can you blame it after 4 years under windows....(G)

This G5 is great, the more I use it the better I like it.
QUOTE Thanks
James

Ok, I've been using the Mac for 4 days now so I am now a Mac Pro....(G)

Figured out what the problem was with the Mac not reading my Fat 32 external hard drive... The drive didn't have a volume name so Mac won't read it... Gave the drive a 5 letter volume name and presto all of a sudden there was an icon on the screen for that drive and I was able to retrieve all the files I wanted.

Day 4 and lovin it !! :cool:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Please Help...I'm new to the iMac | G3 iMac Problem »