New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - Is a mini a good gaming machine?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LAPIII

LAPIII is on a distinguished road

My fourth PC broke down, so I'm deciding on a mac. Most Macs cost too much, therefore it's the Mini for me. The Mac website says it comes with a Intel GMA 950 graphics processor, how good is that? If possible, I will get the best Mini there is, right now that is the 2.0 GHZ.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPIII View Post
My fourth PC broke down, so I'm deciding on a mac. Most Macs cost too much, therefore it's the Mini for me.
The Mini has an integrated Intel graphics solution, which is fairly weak in terms of video cards. While it will have support for some games, it's certainly not ideal as a gaming platform.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
bphoenix

bphoenix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2.2/120gb/2gb Santa Rosa - 20" Aluminum Apple Cinema Display

You might want to look into getting a used imac, it would be more ideal for gaming if your looking into getting a mac. It's about the same price as a new mini, just a suggestion
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Mac Mini is okay for recreation use, like opening about 3 to 4 applications per day (like me, safari, iTunes, iChat and Mail). If you really wanted to game, the PC would be a better choice, even though you want a Mac. 2.0 GHz isn't the best...

QUOTE Thanks
calenerd

calenerd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac

If you really want to game, get a PC, or a refurbished/used iMac or the older versions. If I were you, I'd get a refurb Mac if I'm not going the PC way.

The dark is passion, the light is logic.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

If you're gaming, get a PC. If you really want a Mac but want to game, you'll really need the MacBook Pro or iMac.
Integrated graphics, as found on the MacBook and mini will support games out now but not well. Certainly not as well as a custom built PC that will cost $600.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
mac0s9user

mac0s9user is a jewel in the roughmac0s9user is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.

Depends on the game
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

I have a Mini and I found that some games (such as Sims2, Sims2 Pets and AOE3 work) but others (Later Sims2 upgrades and NWN2) do not. This is due to the onboard Intel graphics.

I did find either a Widget or a Website which listed a lot of games and indicated whether or not they would work on my Mac - but I can't remember what that was.

If anyone can point me at that Widget or site please I would be grateful.

I have also got some games to run using the PC versions with Crossover. These include GuildWars, Starwars Galaxies and the PC version of NWN, including the two updates. I can't find the Mac version of NWN (it seems to be out of stock everywhere) - but this is expensive compared to the PC version. Not tried the Linux version of NWN yet. Anyone know if that works please?

The best game I have found so far on the Mac is World of Warcraft - the same box includes both PC and Mac versions. This installed and works fine on the Mini.

Edit - I tried the Linux version of NWN, running it from a shell command line as for Linux. It didn't work. Surprising since OS X is essentially Linux under the GUI.
QUOTE Thanks
David the Gnome

David the Gnome is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini aka Little Tiger

My Mini has a 32mb video card, 1.42GHz G4 Processor, and 512mb of RAM; hardly enough to do any kind of real gaming. World of Warcraft runs at about 10-15 fps outdoors and almost 20 indoors. If you want to game the Mini is not a good choice; as has already been said, serious gaming should be done on a PC.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2 Mac Pro Questions | slow mini - finding things running behind? »