New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - RAM: Crucial Vs Apple

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ojdude

ojdude is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" Intel (Aluminium) iMac - 2.0 Ghz

Hi there, I'm considering upgrading my RAM on my Intel iMac (2.0 GHz).. and I'm just wandering what the difference is between Official Apple RAM from the online store and Crucial Memory... Crucial is considerably cheaper, so does this mean a difference in performance and reliability?

I'm also thinking of removing the RAM that came with the machine and filling the slots with two 2GB cards - will my iMac still run if using entirely Crucial made RAM?

Would love to know what you think if you have any comments or views.

Cheers, Owen
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojdude View Post
Hi there, I'm considering upgrading my RAM on my Intel iMac (2.0 GHz).. and I'm just wandering what the difference is between Official Apple RAM from the online store and Crucial Memory... Crucial is considerably cheaper, so does this mean a difference in performance and reliability?
Apple re-brands third-party manufactured RAM like Samsung and Hynix. Crucial is Micron memory which is top shelf memory. No, there is no difference in performance.

Quote:
I'm also thinking of removing the RAM that came with the machine and filling the slots with two 2GB cards - will my iMac still run if using entirely Crucial made RAM?
That's exactly what I did.

Quote:
Would love to know what you think if you have any comments or views.

Cheers, Owen
I highly recommend Crucial for memory upgrades.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
nbrowser

nbrowser has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB

There was a day way back when when Apple computers had to have specific memory, but lately that isn't the case, with my eMac 1.25 and Mini Core Duo, it didn't matter which company it came from, just works, so in the eMac it's Kingston Value and in the Mini it's Buffalo it all works, although I do tend to lean towards Corsair or Cruicial for the higher performance systems I have (not Mac based sorry) but either of those two alone would work in a later Mac too.

This is a multiplatform home !
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I will totally agree with the above. And would like to say I replaced the shipped ram in my imac with 2 x 1GB kingston brand ram. And I haven't had one day issues with it. I'd highly recommend this brand of ram.

But for cost, I'd be looking for well known good quality brands. While the performance when compared to the budget options are not really noticeable, the reliability just might be. In my opinion the few extra $$ spent is well worth it.
QUOTE Thanks
ojdude

Thanks for all the answers! Looks like a cheaper option will be great...

Just leads me to one question though, how come Apple memory from their online store is so expensive? Is it purely a marketing move to make people trust them more and shell out more cash, and just because they can? Certainly worked on me anyway.

Im interested in the Kingston option, I have a Kingston USB Flash Drive, thats taken such a heavy beating over the last 3 years and still works a charm while other flash cards have broken after months!

If anyone is still reading, perhaps you'd like to share your thoughts on what memory you prefer/use/endorse?

Thanks again, Owen
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojdude View Post
Thanks for all the answers! Looks like a cheaper option will be great...

Just leads me to one question though, how come Apple memory from their online store is so expensive? Is it purely a marketing move to make people trust them more and shell out more cash, and just because they can? Certainly worked on me anyway.
Most of the OEMs are like that (not just Apple). It's kind of like buying car parts from your dealer instead of an auto parts store. The parts are mostly the same, but there's a higher markup.

Quote:
Im interested in the Kingston option, I have a Kingston USB Flash Drive, thats taken such a heavy beating over the last 3 years and still works a charm while other flash cards have broken after months!

If anyone is still reading, perhaps you'd like to share your thoughts on what memory you prefer/use/endorse?
Crucial is the retail division of Micron, which is one of the largest memory manufacturers out there and an OEM-supplier to most of the major computer manufacturers. As such, they're probably not going anywhere and will likely be around to honor any lifetime warranties, which is more than can be said of a lot of the other smaller outfits that sell someone else's rebranded memory. Their customer service is outstanding and the memory is guaranteed to be compatible if you use the 'memory configurator' on their website.

I run a PC-repair business out of my home and have been buying Crucial memory almost from the beginning. And after thousands of modules, I have yet to have a problem.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Prax

Prax is on a distinguished road

Earlier Apple took Samsung RAM, which cost a lot more than RAM with the same specs from a different manufacturer. To find the correct RAM for your iMac you should use the memory advisor tool on http://www.crucial.com.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

This is not really an either/or question as well. At my local Apple Store, they recommended Crucial! I was looking for a memory upgrade, but wasn't willing to pay their prices, which are just WAY out of line with the market. They endorsed Crucial as "very good memory". So, it is more of an "Apple memory" or "Apple recommended memory".

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Tauron

Tauron can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prax View Post
Earlier Apple took Samsung RAM, which cost a lot more than RAM with the same specs from a different manufacturer. To find the correct RAM for your iMac you should use the memory advisor tool on http://www.crucial.com.
thanks for the advice!
QUOTE Thanks
blinkin357

blinkin357 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro quad-core 2.66gHz, Leopard, 9gb RAM, one 250gb, two 500gb and three 1tb internal SATA drives

Our MacPro came with two 512kb RAM chips and I added six CRUCIAL RAM chips.

Installing was simple and operation has been flawless. The only concern I've had is that the Crucial RAM does not have the large heat sinks like the Apple chips have. This RAM runs very hot and I'm sure that adding heat sinks would reduce temperatures and probably prolong the life of these components. I haven't wanted to spend the extra money for heat sinks yet.

When I recently took our MacPro to the Apple Store Genius Bar, one of the Genius' commented that Crucial RAM is a good choice.

I'll be swapping out the original RAM as Crucial prices continue to decline.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Crucial is very high quality, I completely agree with all comments. When building PCs back in the day, for gaming and benching, Crucial and/or Corsair were my 1st choices.

There is only one caveat that I would add, the memory you'd want should always be Fully Buffered ECC for a Mac Pro or any other Mac that's going to do mission critical work (I mean acting as a 24/7 server for example). Crucial memory and other large companies supply this, but others may not.

This is not necessary for a MacBook being used to surf the web or play WoW.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
y-guy

y-guy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.4 - 4GB RAM, Logitech S530 Kbrd/Mouse, Logitech Z2300 Speakers

I put in 4GB of Crucial memory in my iMac... runs great. I've only ordered memory for the office and home from Crucial as well, never had a bad chip yet. Their tools make it darn near fool proof when ordering the right memory too.
QUOTE Thanks
ojdude

i've got my RAM now from Crucial.. slipped in fine and works great - no problems at all..

thanks for advice ;-)
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

How do you upgrade the RAM in a Mini?

I thought they were sealed. I think I read that someone had managed to open one but not without a great deal of difficulty. I assume it also invalidates the warranty?

Different question - is upgrading the RAM on an iMac similar to doing so on a PC - or more like on a laptop please?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk4 View Post
How do you upgrade the RAM in a Mini?
http://www.methodshop.com/2006/07/ma...tutorial.shtml

Quote:
I thought they were sealed. I think I read that someone had managed to open one but not without a great deal of difficulty. I assume it also invalidates the warranty?
I don't believe so, providing that you don't damage anything as the direct result of the upgrade.

Quote:
Different question - is upgrading the RAM on an iMac similar to doing so on a PC - or more like on a laptop please?
I would describe it more like upgrading the memory on a laptop. You open a door and pop the memory in. Very simple.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ATI Raedon 128MB 2400 vs. 256MB 2600 PRO | 3.5mm headphones »