New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Help getting a Power Mac 9500 to boot

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

scarredtaka

scarredtaka is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.33 C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD

Hi, I have a power mac 9500 with a 400 mhz G3 upgrade that I am currently using to run mac os x (10.2) via xpostfacto. However, it has been in storage for the last year while I've been away at college. When I set it up, it booted right up, first try, into osx on the main drive. However, upon getting to the login screen, I cannot remember my password. So, I need to reset it. However, when I try to boot from the osx install cd, all I get is a grey screen, the preboot screen from os 9. It just sits there and doesn't do anything. If I hold down c, it gets to the happy mac screen, and that's it. None of the key combinations I have tried have done anything. C at startup, option at startup, and both a 10.2 install cd and a 9.1 install cd. I also zapped the pram.

Any ideas would be very helpful.

Thanks.

-ST-

-Edit-
After zapping the pram, the mac no longer sees osx, and sits at the grey screen.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

the problem is that G3 upgrade card, it will not be recorgnised by the OSX install disk, so the machine will try to boot in to os 9, using the old processor.

can you manage to boot in to single user mode - bascicallt the command line

http://lifehacker.com/software/mac-t...ord-278898.php
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

If louishen suggestion fails, go back to the standard 9500 set up, format the HDD and install OS 9, update firmware if needed, install CPU upgrade and try OS X.2 with xpostfacto.

Maybe that application has become corrupted whilst in storage.
QUOTE Thanks
scarredtaka

scarredtaka is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.33 C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD

-louishen

Thank You!

That got it!
That was really my only problem, getting my password figured out.
A google search for os x password reset only came up with the standard "insert boot disk, use tools", which wasn't working.

Everything is still there, and still works.
Amazing, considering that the machine is from 1994, and the hard drive is probably close to that age, (3GB external SCSI). It's like the energizer bunny. It keeps on going.

Thanks for the help.

-ST-
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« eMac vs iMac | Converting Built In iSight to Webcam? »