New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - FYI: On 1st generation nVidia 8800 GT

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Erexxx

Erexxx is on a distinguished road

Just installed a nVidia 8800 GT video card in my 1st gen Mac Pro 2.6 Ghz. All I have to say is WOW. What an improvement! All scores are up and games run effortlessly at 1600x1200 or 1920x1200 with Win XP. The Windows Vista performance rating went from 4.2 to 5.9. The computer runs quite a bit faster with this card and as an added plus I can modulate the cards cooling fan with Riva tuner. The upgrade to install this card took all of ten minutes. If you use the computer for Leopard applications I didn't see any improvements when using the OS. Althought I admittedly don't use the OS for much more than adjusting the computer's fan speeds and computer maintenance.
QUOTE Thanks
tmilz

tmilz is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your post.

The Apple website says that the video card uses 1 auxiliary power cable. I am assuming this is a pigtail off of the main power supply within the Mac Pro. When I look inside my Mac Pro (1st gen., early 2008), I don't see any power cables - Apple has them well routed somewhere within the box, or just doesn't make them available.

Did you run into problems with this?

P.S. - if I go with the Quadro FX 5600 - the website says I need two power cables...

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

There is a little cable that goes from the video card to the logic board. It's not more than 2 inches.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
tmilz

Excellent - doesn't sound like a problem...thanks much...time to order!
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice

Make sure you get that cable.

QUOTE Thanks
tmilz

So I take it that means it doesn't come in the video card packaging. Do Apple Stores sell it?
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

I don't know. I would hope so.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Second Monitor to an iMac??? | mini mac hard drive upgrade - how to transfer data »