New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Weird Blue Lines on iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

couchcoach182

couchcoach182 will become famous soon enough

I woke my computer today to find these weird lines on my screen. The computer works fine beside the lines. It seems like only some colours are affected because some parts of my screen are fine but others have the lines. Also when I'm on a page and i scroll down, it turns all blue instead of lines. Here are some screenshots of what they look like. Any ideas of what could be causing it?
Thanks.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3163/...763e4367_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3257/...260a9be4_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3171/...0b1e2aac_b.jpg
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Give these a try.
Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

Depending on which iMac you have, reset the PMU/SMU/SMC
Resetting the iMac (Flat Panel) Power Management Unit (PMU)
iMac G5: How to Reset the SMU
Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini: How to reset the System Management Controller

Try this as well.
The Apple Hardware Test

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
couchcoach182

couchcoach182 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately I'm still having the same problem. I guess I'm going to have to take it in and prepare to spend some money.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Go into your system preferences and click on the Displays button then the colour tab at the top. And make sure the colour profile selected there is the right one for your mac. And if it still looks strange then you can always click the calibrate button and use the assistant to fix it up.

Why I'm saying this cause I've seen people with similar symptoms to you and their colour calibration of their screens were out. I dunno how they became wrong but it was an easy fix following the above and a little playing around with the settings.

This might not help you at all but it's worth looking into.

Also there should be in the utility folder something called the ColorSync Utility. Run it, and in the first aid section there too a verify and a repair if needed to to fin up some of your profiles.
QUOTE Thanks
sally666

sally666 is on a distinguished road

the exact same thing has happened to my imac and it has been like that for about 6 months now!
QUOTE Thanks
wolfe17

wolfe17 is on a distinguished road

Hi

My iMac G5 suddenly started displaying the same blue lines as depicted in the screenshots at the start of this post - although not as bad. They're only really visible in light areas of the screen - not on the dark desktop pic, for example.

Have tried resetting the PRAM etc but it wouldn't work - I think due to me locking the firmware when I reinstalled the system a while ago? Tried to reset the SMU but didn't seem to help.

Anyone figure out what the cause of this is? Am wondering if it's hardware related....
QUOTE Thanks
mcolman

mcolman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Power Mac G5, August 2004, Apple 20" Cinema Display

Are you referring to the vertical columns of white pixels on the screen shot , second one down.

I have a Power Mac query but the problem with mine is a lot worse
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Video cards by the sound and look of it. Run a hardware test.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Screen keeps going black | iMac G5 freezes after sleeping »