stew
    Need Some Help In Buying
    Hi guys,

I am starting college (doing a 3 year long degree) end of August (3 weeks ARGH!) and I am looking at buying a Mac... I have a decent(ish) P4 2.2Ghz PC but its not stable enough and having to format every 1.5 months drives me insane.

I am nto too sure what specs of machine I'm looking for but I need somethign which will run at a the same, or faster, speed than my current comp, heres the full spec of my current computer:

Processor: Pentium 4 2.2GHz
    RAM: 256Mb (does me fine for most work)
    Storage: 40Gb main drive and a 60Gb storage (MP3s, movies, and backups)
    I have a CD-RW drive and a sperate DVD-ROM

Basically I'm looking for something which will run Photoshop 7 comfortably (i am doing a course in Multimedia Computer With Web Developemnt so photoshop's a must) but also run Dreamweaver MX at the same time with little slow-down... now I know the G5 is coming out shortly but I dont have the budget for one so I'm thinkg of a G4 Powermac. I dont need a DVD drive as I have an xBox now and that plays DVDs however i do need a CD-RW drive (I dont see the need to spend an extra $200= for a superdrive)

My budget is 1,608.75 USD (im from the UK so its 1,000 that I have to spend)

I already have a really good monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 957p) which i bought 2 months ago so i dont need to get a new monitor jsut the DVI-VGA adapter. Oh and hte video card shoudl be able to let me run at 1600x1200 @ 70Hz - 85Hz (if its definable even better)

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Stew

Mike
    If you're willing to spend a littlea little more. If you don't want a SuperDrive you can get a G5 for $1,800. Other wise maybe an 17" iMac, but it might be a little slower. Maybe you can find an old dual 1.42GHz PowerMac.

stew
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    If you're willing to spend a littlea little more. If you don't want a SuperDrive you can get a G5 for $1,800. Other wise maybe an 17" iMac, but it might be a little slower. Maybe you can find an old dual 1.42GHz PowerMac.
    I had thought of getting an iMac, but I have jsut bought a 19" monitor which is fully colour calibrated so I need to keep that thus discounting an iMac.

My main concern with going for a G5 is that the first generation will undoubtly have problems and I dont want to buy another computer which doesnt work jsut right.

I dont know if I will be able to find a Dual powermac in my area (Ayrshire, scotland) and the only place other than the internet where I can buy a Mac locally is PC World (blergh!) and they over charge on everything especially the Macs.

dziner
    I'm in the market for buying a new Mac too. If you check out the Apple store and scroll down, you can still buy a G4 for a nice price. The 1.25GHz G4 with 512MB of RAM cost $1,424.00. Of course you can save money with just getting the built-in 256MB of RAM and it'll cost $1,299.00. OR you can upgrade it to a DUAL 1.25GHz for $300! The dual processor would be much faster than the P4 2.2GHz you currently own. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

stew
    im looking at getting the PowerMac G4 DP 1Ghz (signifcantly cheaper than the 1.25), with 256 RAM then put in a 512 from crucial.com (like half the price of apple RAM ), and i have a spare 60GB HD anyway so storage aint a problem, and minus the 56k modem looks at around 1,000ish but i should get a decent student discount... ill keep you posted.

Specs:
    MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
    Well any new mac you can buy will be fast enough for anything you need to do (unless u get an iBook and plan on doing FCP4 work )
    I think the best deal for any mac is the eMac.

Thread Information