New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Samsung Spinpoint f1 750gb on 2006 Mac Pro - Help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nocturnity

Nocturnity is on a distinguished road

Hey, I just ordered a spinpoint f1 750gb internal hd for my 2006 mac pro and it won't physically connect. Am I missing something? Cause these drives are compatible with Mac Pros - is mine too old (2.66ghz quad core)?

This is really quite urgent cause my 750gb my book pro external hard drive started messing up yesterday and took many restarts and port swaps for it to work and I really want to back up everything in case it doesn't work again.

I'm reallllly confused.

Thank you.

James
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Does the connection look like either of these?

If the connection looks like the top HD, you bought the right HD. If it looks like the second, you bought the wrong HD.
However, the optical drive (DVD burner) still uses that older connection as seen in the bottom photo and there is a second connection for it. You could use the second optical drive ribbon to attach the HD if you need an immediate fix.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
Nocturnity

it looks like neither lol!

here's a pciture (apologies for the fisheye - my other lenses are in the car)

thank you for getting back to me =)
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice

That's the top drive in the photo I attached.
you are sure you mounted it tightly to the drive sled and reinserted the sled properly? It should fit perfectly.

QUOTE Thanks
Nocturnity

well they are similar but not the same I have the seagate barracuda drive already - I've taken a picture of them both. Samsungs on the right - look at the additional pins on the left of the right drive.

I didn't want to risk putting a hard drive in with different connections incase I bent the pins (it's happened before!). I have no *gently* inserted it and it does fit. However I get this warning message upon boot - what should I do?

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

James
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

open disk utility and format it. It's probably formatted for Windows.

QUOTE Thanks
Nocturnity

yeah - it works fine now! Thank you!

Do you know what those extra pins on the hard drive are for? That's what worried me a bit.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

Not a clue. They aren't used by the Mac. It only uses the two pin connections on the right side of the drives.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« dvd drive | G4 Shutting Down Unexpectedly »