New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - Mini as Airport Base station?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iscameron

iscameron is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz,13'' macbook white, 20" iMac, 16GB iPhone 3G white.

Hey this is just a quick question about the mac mini

I was just considering buying a new airport to replace my microsoft base station. But what i just read about the mac mini is that it has an airport built in, now this may sound like a stupid question but there is nothing specifically saying it on the apple site.

Can I set up the mac mini as an airport base station for my wireless network?
QUOTE Thanks
mcjacksonnelson

mcjacksonnelson has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3

i dont think you can, since the airport in the mac mini is a receiver, not a transmitter. but im sure i'll be proven wrong by some of he geniuses in here.

"You can't fight in here, this is the war room!"

CONSTRUCTIV Art & Design
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

I wouldn't think so. You would need a router to provide an internet connection.

QUOTE Thanks
ardillo9344

ardillo9344 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook White 2.0 GHz 320GB HD 2GB RAM PowerMac G4 Quicksilver 733MHz 80GB HD iPhone 3G 16GB Black

Yes, actually this is possible. But the mini has to always be on...
Plug in your ethernet cable from the modem and go into System Preferences>Sharing>Internet Sharing. Pick share through AirPort and turn it on. It will give you some kind of warning, just click OK.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Yup, you can get the mini to transmit a wireless signal and do as ardillo9344 said. Of course, it will only work when the mini is on.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Is this unique to the mini, or can all Airport equipped Macs do this?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

All Mac with a AirPort card can using Tiger or Leopard. I don't know Panther well enough to know if it also has the internet sharing/ broadcast preference.
I used to do it on my original Core Duo iMac. I would hook up the iPhone and other little things to it without a problem.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
iscameron

iscameron is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz,13'' macbook white, 20" iMac, 16GB iPhone 3G white.

Thanks for the replies guys, it seems like I should be able to set it up, the only concern in the other forum I posted on is the range of the signal.

But I got my answer, Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mcjacksonnelson

mcjacksonnelson has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3

thats awesome. good to know.

"You can't fight in here, this is the war room!"

CONSTRUCTIV Art & Design
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Strange problem on startup | iMac G3 Networking With A PS2 »