New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Video cards for a 2008 Mac Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bryanwire

bryanwire is on a distinguished road

Hello,

A few months back I purchased a mac pro dual 2.8ghz xeon system with the Nvidia Geforce 8800 video card.

I know Nvidia now has their 9000 series cards out and was wondering if anyone knew which ones worked in these systems. I don't want to buy one without knowing the compatability.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan
QUOTE Thanks
Blizare

Blizare can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd

do you even need it? or are you just buying it cause it's there and a bit better?

Not sure of your logic here and it sure doesn't sound like your pushing that mac pro hard anyways..........

The newer video card will not make your computer faster.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I honestly don't know if it will work or not, but like Blizare says, the impact upon system performance will be negligible. If you are looking to speed up your Mac Pro, get a faster hard drive and more RAM. Replacing the stock hard drive with a faster one delivered a huge speed up on my 2008 Mac Pro.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Aztech

Aztech is on a distinguished road

Apple machines only usually work with specific graphics cards... AKA ones which are on the apple website....

Its down to the EFI bios stuff that Mac's use, you cant just buy any old graphics card and stick it into the PCI-E slot and hope for the best, the MAC Graphics cards as far as i understand are specifically manufacturered to work on MAC's alone !

For the time being the best (economical) graphics card for the MAC Pro is the 8800GT, their is the ATI X-1900 XT as well, but the price is kinda extreme and im not too sure what kinda performance difference you will see...

Afraid that if your after Graphics swapout capability, then it might of been a better purchase to grab a Dell XPS, Good old apple kit isnt exactly renound for its wide range or easy upgradability !
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Superdrive failing advice needed | Some advice please, iMac Applecare »