New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Mac Pro + SATA Optical Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Aztech

Aztech is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Please dont automatically hang me...

But iv got a MAC Pro, Running Windows XP Pro (cus OS X doesnt yet support HD-DVD or Blu-Ray) and am trying to add an optical Blu-ray drive into it... alas in windows the 2 additional onboard SATA ports are inactive and the only ports i have availiable are the 3 additional HDD caddy slots at the top of the case...

Alas these ports are kinda the wrong gender to just insert a standard SATA cable into, does anyone know where i can get a gender changer or a another way of getting this drive working in the computer !
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

There are two "hidden" SATA ports, are you saying those are the one's that are inactive? They should work fine if you plug the optical drive into one.

xlr8yourmac.com has a nice walkthough. HD/ Optical drive is the same difference. Install is the same except the drive sled is designed for the optical drive.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
Aztech

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryphotoguy View Post
There are two "hidden" SATA ports, are you saying those are the one's that are inactive? They should work fine if you plug the optical drive into one.

xlr8yourmac.com has a nice walkthough. HD/ Optical drive is the same difference. Install is the same except the drive sled is designed for the optical drive.
These ports would work fine for installing a SATA optical drive while using Apple OS X, but when running windows XP in bootcamp, those two sata ports are disabled ! the only four that are availiable to the operating system are the ones along the top of the chassis designed for the HDD caddie's...
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Sorry, I tried newegg and google and came up empty.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
Aztech

Well i found this SATA Cable last night, after some very random searching...

http://www.satacables.com/

do a search for item number SS-AZX20MPSS and u'll see the cable i need, unfortunatly these people are an American Only retail store, they wont ship to the UK.... dammit...

Alas i cant seem to find a UK based company that does anything like this !
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

You should be able to find a SATA cable in your local computer shop.
QUOTE Thanks
Aztech

Well its in and working !

Posted a mini guide with pics for anyone else who ever wants to add additional SATA drives in this fashion !

http://www.fluxbox.co.uk/2008/06/05/...apple-mac-pro/
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help needed in selecting new desktop to upgrade too | HELP! When I boot up, my Hard Drive is not recognized! HELP! »