Thread: New Mac Mini?

New Mac Mini?
    Hi everyone. This is my first post and I know very little about macs, so please bear with me. I have been planning a project to install a computer in the dashboard of my car. I have spent a lot of time researching the mac mini and pandora's aopen and finally decided that I wanted to use the mini. I was about to purchase it today, and a friend told me that they might be revamping the mac mini and soon. Is there any validity to this and does anyone know a time frame? Thank you very much for your help.
    -Ross

Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    No one knows for sure when Apple is going to do anything, but the Mini is, I believe, the Mac unit that has now gone the longest since its last refresh. Personally, I suspect that an upgrade will announced any day now. My daughter wants a Mini and I have been advising her to hold off for a bit just yet.

I am guessing that in the next revision, the Mini will get a bump to 2.2 GHz processors from the current high end 2.0 GHz processor, and likely larger default hard drives. All in all, I am not expecting a major revision to the Mini, just ongoing evolution as newer and faster technology falls into the range of its price point.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. Does apple have any upcoming big events where it is likely that they will unveil a new product or an upgrade to a current product? I know that is normally how they announce these sorts of things. Thanks.
    -Ross

Specs:
    Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    The Mini isn't often updated. It's conceivable that it will remain unchanged until September or October. I'd bet on a small speed bump in July or August though, but nothing major and nothing to stop you buying now.

If you're only using the machine in your car though, have you considered a second hand Core Solo or something?

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    I'd wait until after WWDC at least... you never know.

Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    WWDC is next week, and is widely (wildly) expected to be the event that introduces the new 3G iPhone. I suspect that we won't see a new Mini at that time - keep the message focused on the iPhone - but likely a short while thereafter.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Thread Information