New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - SCSI Card

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NateL

NateL is on a distinguished road

We have purchased a tape backup system which needs connects to our PowerPC G5 via SCSI. Unfortunately, SCSI is a bit on the outdated side of things, but we need it.

Can anyone please recommend a SCSI card for me?
QUOTE Thanks
NateL

Actually, will this work?

http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/scsi/FR1SX.php
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateL View Post
I use a similar adapter (made by Adaptec) on a PC, although mine is USB to SCSI-II adapter, not a Firewire-SCSI adapter. It works well. This might be a way forward.

However, you may need to be a little more detailed in your question. There are more "flavors" of SCSI than hairs on your head it seems. SCSI-II, Ultra SCSI, Ultra Wide SCSI, SCSI 320 ... the list goes on and on. Make sure that you know what type of SCSI your tape units need and then find an adapter that provides it.

By the way, the latest Mac Pros use PCIe 2.0 for their plug in cards, so once you know what sort of SCSI you are looking for, you might wish to look for a PCIe 2.0 adapter that provides that sort of SCSI.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Gosh I remember SCSI

Thank God for USB and firewire

Seriously tho, there is a guide to the myriad type of connectors here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCSI_connector
QUOTE Thanks
NateL

Thanks for the replies. The wiki didn't have the connector I have.

I'm working on pics now.

I also think I mis labeled this thread. I don't have one of the newer Mac Pros, but a Power Mac G5.

I searched a bit more on the PCI slots and found that I have PCI-X slots...3 available.

mac57, this cable was provided from Tandberg (the tape backup manufacturer)
http://service.pcconnection.com/imag...se/5288381.jpg

And, I found a bunch of google results...i just can't quite figure out which one I need and which is compatible with Power Macs.
http://www.google.com/products?oe=ut...card&lnk=qsugt
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future

NateL, the picture is too small to determine the SCSI type from it. Do you have any documentation that would tell you what sort of SCSI you are up against? Alternately, do you have a model number for your tape drive? We could look that up and determine the SCSI type from that.

Finally, there were many iterations of PowerMac G5. Can you tell us what your processor speed and config are (for example, "dual core 2.3 GHz")?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

that looks like Ultra Wide SCSI

but I would contact Tandberg and get them to recommend a card
QUOTE Thanks
NateL

Just got off the phone with Tandberg, and he said the cable i have is VHDCI
http://www.lextec.com/images/scsi_vhdci_offset_lg.jpg

One end is a lot wider than the other end. The wider end plugs into the tape backup system, and the smaller end plugs into the SCSI card.

So... at Apple.com,
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB099G/A

This looks like what I need. However, the computer has a PCI-X slot, but that card appears to have an extra groove...should I worry about that?

Also, I'm browsing on Adaptec.com and I'm not sure, do I need a Parallel SCSI or Host Bus Adapter (HBA)?
QUOTE Thanks
NateL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
NateL, the picture is too small to determine the SCSI type from it. Do you have any documentation that would tell you what sort of SCSI you are up against? Alternately, do you have a model number for your tape drive? We could look that up and determine the SCSI type from that.
LTO-3HH

The specs say SCSI cable HD68/HD68
Quote:
Finally, there were many iterations of PowerMac G5. Can you tell us what your processor speed and config are (for example, "dual core 2.3 GHz")?

Model: PowerMac 7,2
CPU Type: PowerPC970
Number of CPU's: 2
CPU Speed: 2ghz
Memory: 7 GB

OS is 10.4

anything other info you may need?

Thanks!!
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

It would appear from the above that you have a late model PowerMac G5, dual core 2.0 GHz. This is the same generation as my original PowerMac G5, and from its technical documentation, I see that it uses PCI Express (PCIe) not PCI-X. Hence the card that you are looking at likely will not be compatible with your machine.

I think that you are looking for a PCIe Ultra320 SCSI, from what you say, like this one or this one.

Please don't buy anything without confirming that your machine is PCIe vs. PCI-X, but I think that it is the same generation as my PowerMac G5, so unless you know for sure that it is PCI-X, I think it is PCIe.

PowerMac G5 owners, is there anyone out there with the 2.0 GHz dual core model? Can you comment on whether it is PCI-X or PCIe? It is always possible that Apple put different interfaces into the different models... anything is possible!

QUOTE Thanks
NateL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
It would appear from the above that you have a late model PowerMac G5, dual core 2.0 GHz. This is the same generation as my original PowerMac G5, and from its technical documentation, I see that it uses PCI Express (PCIe) not PCI-X. Hence the card that you are looking at likely will not be compatible with your machine.

I think that you are looking for a PCIe Ultra320 SCSI, from what you say, like this one or this one.

Please don't buy anything without confirming that your machine is PCIe vs. PCI-X, but I think that it is the same generation as my PowerMac G5, so unless you know for sure that it is PCI-X, I think it is PCIe.

PowerMac G5 owners, is there anyone out there with the 2.0 GHz dual core model? Can you comment on whether it is PCI-X or PCIe? It is always possible that Apple put different interfaces into the different models... anything is possible!

Here's a shot of the 3 available slots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0219.JPG (319.8 KB, 9 views)
QUOTE Thanks
NateL

I need to get this SCSI card ordered today...just a bump before I order to confirm that it's PCI-X or PCIe. I've asked on a few other forums and the answer I get is "yeah I think it's PCI-X"...noone is sure.
QUOTE Thanks
doubelalpha

doubelalpha is on a distinguished road

HI Mac57,
I too am interested in a PCI-E SCSI card to connect a DLT4 tape to my new Mac Pro. I looked at the first of the two cards you recommended - but did not see the MAC OS listed under the supported OS... I am new to Macs so I may be missing something?!
thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubelalpha View Post

HI Mac57,
I too am interested in a PCI-E SCSI card to connect a DLT4 tape to my new Mac Pro. I looked at the first of the two cards you recommended - but did not see the MAC OS listed under the supported OS... I am new to Macs so I may be missing something?!
thanks
I was not recommending those cards - I just looked a few up and posted them as examples. You are right to ensure that the cards are supported under Mac OS X however. If they are not, don't get them. I freely admit that I did not look for OS support when I checked out a few cards. Remember however that Mac OS X may support the cards natively, without need of drivers from the vendor. You may wish to Google around and check this out on any card of interest.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Display Resolution | Where should I buy some ram on the cheap? »