New iMac and want to clone
    I just ordered a new iMac for my wife and I would like to clone mine. Is there and easy way to have her iMac totally cloned to mine...apps included?

Lake Mary, Florida
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Potter View Post
    I just ordered a new iMac for my wife and I would like to clone mine. Is there and easy way to have her iMac totally cloned to mine...apps included?

When you set up the new machine, you'll have the option to run the Migration Assistant. That will help you transfer settings/documents and applications from another Mac. Just keep in mind that in many cases, commercial software is licensed only to run on one machine in your household at a time.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    as cwa107 says Migration assistant is the way to go

you will need a firewire cable to use this

Your wife's machine will have your username and password, to change this to her name, use the accounts preferences. Do NOT rename her home folder in the finder

St. Somewhere
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    If you have an external hard drive, you should be able to use one of CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make a perfect bootable clone of your hard disk. Assuming the machines are of the same model, you should then be able to boot your wife's new machine off the external hard drive and then reverse the process - use the same program to clone the external hard drive onto the internal drive that came with the machine. Straight and simple.

One consideration though. Do you have any licensed software on your machine? If so, you are now running two copies of it, although you only have one license. You could be violating the license terms for the software in question. For example, if you have Photoshop on your machine and use the above to clone it onto her machine, you will most definitely be in violation of the Photoshop license.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Thread Information