New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Quality difference in 20/24"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

avolve

avolve is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

simply put, I bought a new 20" iMac about 10 days ago and still have the right to return it.

The glossy screen isn't an issue and the size is fine, but as a lot of other people have been noticing, the quality isn't 'wow' like the old white imacs, and it has a very slight gradient being a touch darker at the top and lighter at the bottom.

If I wasn't a graphic designer by trade then this really wouldn't be an issue, but it is slightly annoying as I am working with colours all day.

My question is this: is the 24" screen a lot better?

Is it worth me sending mine back and paying the extra for the 24" in terms of quality alone? leaving out size as an issue.

Anyone with any knowledge or experience with both screens, please give me some input.

Many thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris_Mav

Chris_Mav is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4ghz C2D, 3GB Ram & Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2Gb Ram

The 20" iMac screen is beautiful, but i opted for the 24" because i wanted the best for my money and thought i may aswell pay extra for the better screen.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The 20" iMac uses a TN Panel while the 24" uses a better IPS Panel. Google for the difference.
QUOTE Thanks
avolve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
The 20" iMac uses a TN Panel while the 24" uses a better IPS Panel. Google for the difference.
I thought thats what this forum is for?

Of course I can google it too...
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolve View Post
I thought thats what this forum is for?

Of course I can google it too...
I had to leave. That is why I told you to google IPS and TN for the difference.
QUOTE Thanks
avolve

Right, I have arranged for my imac to be collected from John Lewis for a refund and have just purchased a c2d g5 imac from ebay, love those screens!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

You mean the 20" White one with the Intel C2d?
QUOTE Thanks
avolve

yes not a g5, my mistake.

white 20" core 2 duo
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

As far as I know, only the latest model aluminum 24" iMac uses the IPS panel. It is by far and away the best LCD technology out there. Is it too late to consider going to the 24" aluminum iMac?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
ajohnson253

ajohnson253 is on a distinguished road

okay here i Go. I 1st purchased the 24" iMac, i loved it..for a while. did some research i know all about the screen issues etc etc, but it seems it was usually the older ones that had the issues but regardless no screen is going to be perfect. 24" 26" 100" lol just jokin but ya know what i mean. but the screen on the 24" to me was too big for what i needed it for and too bright literally it hurt my eyes at night when the lights were off. I only use the computer to surf the web, download music, store documents for work and store pictures. So i decided the 20" iMac with 2.66 GHz was perfect for me. the screen has nothing wrong with it only difference is it is not as bright its just perfect to me. and im happy. . it all depends on the person we all have our own opinion this is just mine.

 24" Aluminum iMac, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory  13.3-inch: 2.4 GHZ white MacBook
QUOTE Thanks
ajohnson253

ajohnson253 is on a distinguished road

wellll....i got my 24" back, the 20" really wasnt doin it for me. I would say if you could still return the 20" and you have the extra money for the 24 then by all means do it. i had to go back to the 24 the screen is just that much better and Couldn't go wrong with the extra 4 inches it really does look a lot better.

 24" Aluminum iMac, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory  13.3-inch: 2.4 GHZ white MacBook
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrading RAM coupe Q's | Problem with Mac mini »