Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wow. thats different!

Thanks guys!

Specs:
    G52x1.81.53208x+/-
    G4 Cube Specs

Announced in July 2000, the PowerMac G4 Cube introduced a dramatic new case design. Housed in an 8x8x8 cube, the G4 Cube combined the elegance of the iMac with the power of the PowerMac G4. The G4 Cube was a foray into the business market, as well as an answer to those who wanted an iMac-like machine, with more choice in monitors.

The Cube traded expandability for its diminutive size: There were no PCI slots, and while the Graphics was fit into an 2x AGP slot, there wasn't room for full-length AGP cards. With the exception of PCI expansion, the Cube was as versatile as it's larger G4 cousin: Three RAM slots, an AirPort slot, and two USB and FireWire ports.

One gripe many people had with the Cube was its lack of conventional Audio input and output. Instead, it came with an external USB amplifier and a set of Harman Kardon speakers. The amplifier had a standard mini-plug headphone output, but there was no mic included, and having USB as the only sound-input option was considered limiting by many.

Shortcomings aside, the Cube was a remarkable feat of engineering, crammed inside an elegant case. The Cube shipped to retail markets with a 450 Mhz G4 processor, a 20 GB hard drive, a 56 kbps modem, 64 MB of RAM, and Apple s Pro Mouse, for $1799. Another configuration was available through the Apple Store, with a 500 Mhz G4, a 30 GB hard drive and 128 MB of RAM, for $2299.

The Cube was not nearly the success that Apple had hoped it would be. The consensus was that Apple had misjudged the market, making the Cube an expensive "luxury" computer instead of a cheaper monitor-less iMac. In december the low-end configuration received a price cut to $1499.

In February 2001, The cube received a feature and price change. The low-end configuration was repriced at $1299. A "better" configuration was made available, with a CD-RW drive and 128 MB of RAM, for $1599. Finally, the high-end version got a 60 GB hard drive, 256 MB of RAM, a CD-RW drive and an 32 MB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX video card, and sold for $2199.

Specs:
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    thats my baby. maximum OS= 10.3.5? Im on 10.3.6 now. it has a dvd-rom/cdrom drive.
    I love it.

It was probably last updated when 10.3.5 was released.

powercat
    Hi

I do own Cube G4 450mhz and doing well. The only worst is I wouldn't use the computer on a hot day as my computer room don't have window. The Cube suddenly went into frozen state when the screensaver just went back and forth because it was overheating. Usually I would have usb fan running around the cube to keep the temperature low. I rather use the Cube when it not so hot in the room and it best. It doesn't have CPU Fan at all. While I'm not using Cube on a hot day, I rather user G3 Blue & White Tower.

Specs:
    mine gets hot, but not so hot I dont use it, thats nuts. maybe if I had another mac, but I dont. it runs beautifully, they sell a nice fann for the cube that you can install yourself for about $20.

Specs:
    Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
    Additionally if you want a more 'modern' cube, processors are now made up to 1.5 GHz to go in them. Of course then you WILL need a CPU fan for it (which they also make), but the idea of being able to upgrade such a gorgeous computer to modern speeds is amazing.
    'cause when it rains, you know it pours.

powercat
    Hi Macman

Seeing that "sell a nice fan for the cube that you can install yourself for about $20" in your message. How would I possible to insert power supply plug on top of other where the airport card lid won't even closed? Or would that apply on cpu and where the power supply got to go?

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by powercat
    Hi

I do own Cube G4 450mhz and doing well. The only worst is I wouldn't use the computer on a hot day as my computer room don't have window. The Cube suddenly went into frozen state when the screensaver just went back and forth because it was overheating. Usually I would have usb fan running around the cube to keep the temperature low. I rather use the Cube when it not so hot in the room and it best. It doesn't have CPU Fan at all. While I'm not using Cube on a hot day, I rather user G3 Blue & White Tower.
    Yeah. I'd imagine it would pump out a few more degrees into your room with no fans.

Specs:
    heres the link for the fan, I am planning on getting it in the next few weeks, then my cube will be even cooler:mac:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...=GIGGCDFANCUBE

Thread Information