New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Advent USB Hub

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chris_Mav

Chris_Mav is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4ghz C2D, 3GB Ram & Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2Gb Ram

Bought a advent 4 port glow hub today for 12.99 sterling and i plugged it in and it isn't working, it lights up but it wont power usbs anyway of making this work?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Mav View Post
Bought a advent 4 port glow hub today ... it isn't working, it lights up but it wont power usbs anyway of making this work?
Powered hubs are the way to go with MacOS. A search for the Advent brand http://uk.shoppydoo.com/prices-hubs-advent.html shows me that the 12.99 one has a power supply. I note that the reviews of the Advent aren't exactly complimentary.

Maybe you need to install drivers. Does the Advent have an installer CD with it, and is it Mac-compatible? It should be, it's just a peripheral hardware item, and OS X accommodates numerous peripherals without the need for added drivers.

Check your System Profiler (in either Applications or Utilities) and choose USB. See what items your Mac system says are connected.

This may seem obvious, but try connecting the USB hub in one of these different ways:
1. Power the hub on first, plug some USB peripheral (eg. flash drive) into it, and then connect the hub to your computer USB port, Mac computer on
or
2. Plug some USB peripheral into the hub (off), plug the hub into your Mac (off), then power the hub on, and then start your Mac (you can interchange those last two)

You might then try other variations on which is switched on or plugged in first.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris_Mav

Basically it hasn't come with a cd or a power supply, i wouldn't know were to find drivers, you see its only a simple 4 port hub, but the mac won't even recognise it :S Its not even reconised on the utilities>usb bit.

Not sure were to go next, it was 12.99 and thats a lot for me lol so i want to get this working, i can't see why it wouldn't be compatible.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Do no USB devices mount at all or just ones that need power? If it's the later, you need a Power Supply for that HUB.

I have never once needed drivers for any USB Hub on any system. I think it's a Power issue or shall we say the LACK of power. If you plug say a keyboard into the Advent HUB does it work? A Mouse?
QUOTE Thanks
Chris_Mav

No the keyboard and mouse don't work fully either, did when i booted but seemed to loose power, your probably right i'll need a power supply, now to find one lol
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G3 usb keyboard | CD/DVD Rom Not Reading .MOV file discs »