New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - How loud is the iMac under full load?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wilycoder

wilycoder is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I've got a small home studio of sorts. Its currently run by a quad core hackintosh.

I want to get a real mac but I am unable to find some info about the iMac.

You see, the problem with my quad core hackintosh, cheap & powerful it may be, is that it is really fuggin loud. I could spend the money to get a new case & fans for it, but I'd rather just save my money for a real mac

So my two options are a Mac Pro or the 3.06Ghz iMac.

I'm not exactly a professional musician, so the Mac Pro is a bit of overkill right now.

Which leads me to the iMac. And the noise it makes when under FULL load.

Is it loud at all?
QUOTE Thanks
carlover2218

carlover2218 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20 inch Intel iMac 2.4 GHZ, 2GB RAM, 320 GB HDD and Running OSX 10.5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilycoder View Post
Hi,

I've got a small home studio of sorts. Its currently run by a quad core hackintosh.

I want to get a real mac but I am unable to find some info about the iMac.

You see, the problem with my quad core hackintosh, cheap & powerful it may be, is that it is really fuggin loud. I could spend the money to get a new case & fans for it, but I'd rather just save my money for a real mac

So my two options are a Mac Pro or the 3.06Ghz iMac.

I'm not exactly a professional musician, so the Mac Pro is a bit of overkill right now.

Which leads me to the iMac. And the noise it makes when under FULL load.

Is it loud at all?
I honestly don't think it's loud at all. I will sometimes have 5 or 6 different things going and the fan is never too loud.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Nothing like a PC (or your hackintosh) is the answer.

The iMac is very very quiet, almost silent even at full load.

It's a qualtity piece of kit. It's not a run of the mill Dell.
QUOTE Thanks
Yash

Yash is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Dual 2.8 GHz Quad Core Processors, 2 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, 1.5 TB of storage.

I have a mac pro and when i'm using it at a high capacity it is still really quiet so I would guess an Imac is also quiet.
QUOTE Thanks
calenerd

calenerd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac

It's silent (:
I can sleep in peace when I go to bed at night dling stuff.

The dark is passion, the light is logic.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

When i bought my imac it was silent but now a year later it's making a little noise when it works. A little hum. But this hum is such that you have to listen out for it to hear it. It's still rather easy to sleep with it on doing things.

And under full load it does make a little clicking as it's accessing the hard drive as some stupidly fast speed. It's noticeable but only just.

Overall this is still much much quieter than any PC or hackintosh I've ever used.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I have a Mac Pro and it is a very quiet machine as well. It may well be the second quietest computer I have ever had - the quietest was a custom built PC made by a company that specialized in silent PCs, so it is not fair to compare it to anything else. Nonetheless, my Mac Pro is only marginally noisier. It is a real pleasure to work with.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
nZa

nZa has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP

I have built many computers, and can tell you that if you had a room full of iMac's, and one hackintosh, all you would hear would probably be the hackintosh.
QUOTE Thanks
overgrowntroll

overgrowntroll is on a distinguished road

what is it that makes macs so quiet?

Why cant it be achieved by a store bought or home build pc?

btw i have the latest imac and it is dead quiet. i use it for recording all the time being a feelow musician. you will have no problemos with it.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

There are only a few major noise sources on computers - if you simply attend to them in the system design, the resulting machine is quiet:

Power supply - cheap ones have cheap loud fans. Better quality ones have nearly silent fans.

Case Fans - all computers these days need fans to pull air into the case and exhaust heated air out of the case. Like power supplies, cheap cases use cheap fans, which are almost always loud. More expensive cases typically use higher quality, quieter fans. Also, many higher quality cases use physically larger fans which can move the same amount of air while turning more slowly, thus more quietly. If you look at the PowerMac G5 or the Mac Pro, where the fans are easily visible, you will see that they are quite large, and revolve at fairly low rate. On my Mac Pro, iStat Pro indicates that my fans are turning at 600 to 800 RPM, depending on the fan. That is a slow and quiet rate.

CPU Cooling System. Cheap systems use cheap fans mounted on heat sinks to cool the CPU. Better systems use better quality heat sinks and more expensive, larger, quieter fans. The latest Intel CPUs help this a lot, by simply generating less heat that needs to be dissipated, thus reducing the cooling load considerably anyway.

Hard Disks. Older hard drives used to be amazingly noisy. Really cheap systems will still use lower quality noisier hard drives. Most high quality systems these days use better, nearly whisper quiet hard drives.

So, pay attention to the power supply, the case fans, the CPU cooling system and the hard drives, and you can build a nearly noiseless machine. This is what Apple is doing!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac broken ughhhhh help please | iMac or G5? »