New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Should I buy a G4 MDD?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aknisely

aknisely is on a distinguished road

I'm looking to buy my first Mac and I'm on a very limited budget. I've been looking around on ebay at G4 Powermacs and have found a few good deals, especially on dual MDD's. Do you think one would be a good purchase to make? My current setup is running at 2.0Ghz with 512mb ram. For rendering with Blender I also use an old Compaq with a 867mhz processor and 128mb of ram. I was thinking about getting a good priced dual 1.0 or 1.25 and upgrade it to 1.5 GB b of ram if needed. I will be using Blender and gimp mostly. Would this be good for my needs or should I just save my pennys for another year or so and get something then?
QUOTE Thanks
mcjacksonnelson

mcjacksonnelson has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3

well, the good thing about getting that machine is that you'd be able to keep upgrading the OS for a while. however, apple is supposed to stop supporting PowerMac machines within the next year or so. it all depends on if you need the machine right now. but if you can wait and save up, i would go for a brand new machine.

p.s. im still using my 733 PowerMac i bought in 2001. sometimes its even faster than my dual 1.8 g5 i have at work.

"You can't fight in here, this is the war room!"

CONSTRUCTIV Art & Design
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

We really do not know when Apple will completely phase out OS support for the Power PC, but they will down the line. The next OSX might not be out for 1.5 years or more considering how long it took for Leopard after Tiger.

This is just a guess but I would think next time the G4 will be left out then the G5 later on down the road. Only time will tell us what will happen.

For now and if you are really broke, a 1.25Mhz G4 would be fine for basic uses and considering what you are using now for Blender.

How much are the G4's you are looking at? A 1.25Ghz is a MDD (Mirror Drive Door) PowerMac. It will run Leopard fine for now.

Reason I am asking about the price is the bottom Mac Mini is not a lot at $599.

If you do go with the MDD PowerMac, give it as much RAM as you can afford.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

G'day and welcome to the Forums.

Buy the best you can afford. If for now that is a MDD so be it. I hunted and hunted until got the very last model FW800 1.25DP, June 2004, and am very happy with it.

Research the model as there are four different types of MDD and some of them run pretty hot and loud. Leopard runs superbly with 2GB RAM and an upgraded video card also helps.

When you get the machine, if you go for the MDD, you can download CHUD programs to assist with fan control, Temperature Registers to monitor heat and so on.
QUOTE Thanks
aknisely

aknisely is on a distinguished road

Here are a few that I was looking at
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Power-Mac-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Power-Mac-...QQcmdZViewItem

Do these seem reasonably priced?

I was thinking about getting a Mac mini but I still need to buy a car and I dont think the parents will let me spend $600 on a computer when I dont have a car.

Also, the machine I'm currently using is running Ubuntu so right now i'm torn between buying a Mac or building a new Linux machine.
QUOTE Thanks
Tanner31593

Tanner31593 has a spectacular aura about

You could just get a Mini, and buy a bicycle!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

If you were to buy one of the two, suggest look closely at the second as the FW800 is a later model. For what they are asking should come with keyboard, mouse and Tiger install discs.

Minis may well suit some folks, but remember they have a laptop HDD, being 2.5" compared to a desktop 3.5" must do more work for similar capacity which equals faster wearing? Also video cards are not as swappable as a tower, and make sure you understand how to crack one open to update HDD and RAM.
QUOTE Thanks
Lawrence Ip

Lawrence Ip is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 1.25 DP MDD PowerMac, 2GB RAM,1x160 GB 1x80 GB HDD, Airport, Bluetooth,2xSuperdrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknisely View Post
I'm looking to buy my first Mac and I'm on a very limited budget. I've been looking around on ebay at G4 Powermacs and have found a few good deals, especially on dual MDD's. Do you think one would be a good purchase to make? My current setup is running at 2.0Ghz with 512mb ram. For rendering with Blender I also use an old Compaq with a 867mhz processor and 128mb of ram. I was thinking about getting a good priced dual 1.0 or 1.25 and upgrade it to 1.5 GB b of ram if needed. I will be using Blender and gimp mostly. Would this be good for my needs or should I just save my pennys for another year or so and get something then?
These are excellent machines when taken care of (like most things). Mine has been running exceptionally well since installing CHUD 3.52 and enabling NAP Mode (basically NAP tells the Mac to chill out rather than run at 100%... not to be confused with Renicer or the like). If you are able to put up with the latest Tiger 10.4.11 over Leopard (Tiger really is "The One" for these machines) you will get a few more years out of it, just as long as your power supply doesn't give (make sure to relplace the PRAM battery when you pick one up). The Mini... Well it's a great little machine and will serve most well if you want the basic deal. I use PowerMac specific software that runs very smoothly (expected). Yet under Rosetta on other machines those same apps are so SLoaH.... Yep... It's all about what you wanna use it for and the apps that get those things done.

Enjoy Your Mac

Lawrence

Getting the most from Internet Marketing is but a few Simple Steps... The first is all about creating the right mindset... Pull up a chair at The Affiliate Desk while we go through the steps and work a simple plan.
QUOTE Thanks
alfonsogomez

alfonsogomez is on a distinguished road

Go for it!! You will not regret buying that. My mate bought two powermac g4's from ebay all at bargain price (£50) in immaculate condition! They run quite quick but his only concern is that it doesn't support some video editing programs like Final Cut and what have you. Apart from that its a great runner!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New HArd Drive | Permanently clean keyboard? »