New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - What machine do I need?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Godot

Godot is on a distinguished road

Situation:

-I have no home computer, just an old ibook G4. Just graduated and starting job as a designer (motion graphics).

-I have about $3,000 to spend on a new machine. I'll want to get one this summer. Won't be able to save much more than that.

-Will be primarily running Adobe After Effects + Illustrator and Photoshop. No gaming, no 3D (for a while).

-Is an iMac sufficient for this? Will 3k buy me a decent iMac with decent RAM & Processor for what I will be doing? Will I need to save up more?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
ogacon

ogacon has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs:  15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver

If you are doing anything with graphics definitely go for the 24" iMac. It will be plenty sufficient for what you have listed, and easily within your price range + you can get lots of extra software if you wanted. I'd suggest newegg.com or crucial.com and upgrade to 4gb of ram if you wanted to for ~$100. The most expensive iMac is just above 2K http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...2F2PHCCCX72KDY

You're set.

Relay For Life Support me in Relay For Life! Run by American Cancer Society. Cancer research.
What sound does your Rooster make?
QUOTE Thanks
Godot

Godot is on a distinguished road

Thanks a lot! I'll go for the 24" imac now and look at those sites for the RAM upgrade. cheers
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

$3K will buy you a nicely tricked out 24" iMac. At 3.06 GHz, the current models have all the umphh you need for what you are planning to do. Go for it. You will be happy!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Tahiti1028

Tahiti1028 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac | 30GB iPod Video | 16GB iPod Touch

Go for the 24" iMac with the 512 MB graphics card. Then add more RAM yourself... this could save ~$300.

My iMac: 1.6 GHz PowerPC G5, 2 GB (2x1GB) Kingston RAM, 80 GB ATA Hard Drive, DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo Drive, 17" LCD Display, NVIDIA GeForce FX5200, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Headphone Problem | White vertical line »