New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - New 08 Imac - memory question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

qwik3r

qwik3r is on a distinguished road

I bought a new 08 imac the other day, instead of shelling out the loot for a 4gb version i bought the 2gb however I want to have 4gb of ram. I figured I could find it elsewhere online. I came across this on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820134671 however its rated a bit lower then the specs of the imac which are pc 6400 800mhz. I was wondering if I would notice or have a decrease in performance due to the lower mhz of the memory and or if this memory would even work with a desktop, it seems like a great price but I think its for a lappy, no? Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
ogacon

ogacon has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs:  15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver

I'm pretty sure you can find better priced and guaranteed compatibility on www.crucial.com I'll go check right now... but you should check it out.

Relay For Life Support me in Relay For Life! Run by American Cancer Society. Cancer research.
What sound does your Rooster make?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

While the memory you linked to has the exact specs your iMac needs, don't waste your money on the Mac memory section at Newegg. Just go to the regular laptop memory section and find RAM with the right specs.

Here are some good 4GB sets:

OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) - $79.99

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) - $84.99

ogacon, Crucial has a 2x2GB set for $109.99. While that is certainly cheaper than the set the OP linked to, it doesn't beat the above prices.

Crucial 4GB kit

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
ogacon

ogacon has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs:  15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver

Ya, I see that now. Good thing you're here.

Relay For Life Support me in Relay For Life! Run by American Cancer Society. Cancer research.
What sound does your Rooster make?
QUOTE Thanks
qwik3r

hey, you said laptop memory, I have an imac, did you make a mistake or will it work just the same? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
While the memory you linked to has the exact specs your iMac needs, don't waste your money on the Mac memory section at Newegg. Just go to the regular laptop memory section and find RAM with the right specs.

Here are some good 4GB sets:

OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) - $79.99

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) - $84.99

ogacon, Crucial has a 2x2GB set for $109.99. While that is certainly cheaper than the set the OP linked to, it doesn't beat the above prices.

Crucial 4GB kit
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

The iMac uses laptop parts to make it so thin, so yes, laptop memory is exactly what you need.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
qwik3r

thanks alot for the info, really appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
scoobymf12

scoobymf12 is on a distinguished road

try mac sales or mac mall

but mac sales have it for 113.00

and for new imac 08
QUOTE Thanks
Blizare

Blizare can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd

Ram for the imac is so cheap why don't you get something reputable instead of really cheap.

Unless your really cheap, that pretty much covers it....lol

I'ts just after reading about reviews on the G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) - $84.99 it's sounds like more of a PITA than anything. waiting for something only to get it and it suckes then you have to hassle with exchange....meanhwile, you could have spent another $50 and got some good kingston or crucial ram, and have had no problems.

with 4gb on my 24" 2.66 imac , I get 82fps in stormwind in WOW. Pretty good imo.
QUOTE Thanks
Dartholomew

Dartholomew is on a distinguished road

$62 for 4GB from OCZ?? And it's CAS 5?

Sheesh. I just shelled out $109 for Crucial CAS 6 the other day too That's what impatience buys I guess.
QUOTE Thanks
qwik3r

I would up getting http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227251
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« need advice on Mac Pro setup CS3 | uprading my 1.66ghz Mini »